1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake booster

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PopCorkOff, Dec 3, 2023.

1. PopCorkOff

PopCorkOff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can someone please tell me how to post my problem to the whole forum ?
    My 2013 Pruis brake booster has a moan or groan or whine at a pitch of approximately E above middle C on the piano.
    Do I have to replace the whole brake cylinder business -- the motor & pump, or whatever it is that makes that two-second noise every 17 seconds.

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty cool description of the noise. Wish other people were that detailed. And it's not so much the noise, but how often you hear the noise and every 17 second means it's time. Of course on Gen3, Toyota separated the booster into two different systems. So you have to decide which one to replace. It's a bit challenging of a job, and a used replacement is way cheaper than brand new.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You’ve posted in the right place. If you don’t have any trouble lights, and the brakes are fine, wait until you get lights.
    Then you’ll be directed by the codes to diagnose and repair the correct problem

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it is doing this constantly it is worn out. It takes several minutes of running to throw a code. So it could last a few more months or longer if you are lucky.

Be careful with used parts as the housing numbers are not the part number. The pn changes based on factory wheel size and year. Since this is an important safety device, most spend a few more hundred and buy new. Best prices are usually the online Toyota dealers.