1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake caliper replacement - now won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidg, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

OK... so I know I probably did a stupid thing here. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

My wife was complaining about a metallic scraping noise that was coming from the driver side front wheel. I listened to it and couldn't determine what it was or see any evidence of something loose. I took off the wheel and had a look at the components and after 160K miles, it looked like the pads could use replacing. It didn't seem like that was the root of the sound, but it looked like they needed to be done.

I got the parts for both sides and replaced the left without issue, but when I got to the right side, I found the source of the noise: a pebble between the rotor and dust shield. I continued on with the brake replacement and the caliper piston was stuck. Tried a couple of things to free it and blew out the piston.

I had the car in an area in the driveway that was easy to work, but blocked other cars. I hopped in the car to move it out of the way while I wait to get the replacement caliper, tried to put it neutral to roll it and got a warning light and couldn't put it out of park.

Now I have a Prius in the middle of the driveway waiting for the replacement to come in. Once I replace the caliper, I'm hoping it will sense all is well again and let me back on the road. If it doesn't, how do I tell the car that everything is fine now? It would be a major nuisance to have to get a truck to bring it to the dealer, not to mention quite a bit of money.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am guessing that you didn't disconnect the 12V battery, or pull the brake relays, before you started the job. Now the Brake control ECU has detected that there has been a drop in line pressure, and is not going to allow the car to move as a safety precaution.

You will need to bleed the brake system in order to fully reset the codes that have been set. That requires Techstream software. So your options are to get the Mini VCI code reader, or take it to a Prius knowledgeable mechanic, or the dealership. Since you are a DIY'er, the first option is cheap. I guess Amazon will deliver it quite quickly.

Or, once the part is in place you can try to reset the codes using the alternative method. First short pins 4 and 13 of the OBDII port with a small wire, and make the car ready. Step on the brake pedal 8 times in 5 seconds. If the system pressurizes properly, you may be able to move it, but it will still be necessary to bleed the brakes. Remove the wire.

Good luck.

3. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

Nh,

It has been about 30 years since I've bled the brakes on any car, so given my major mess up here, is there any write ups out there about how to do this on a Prius?

I'd prefer to get this taken care of myself to staunch the bleeding of cash that started from a little pebble.

Thanks for the info.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    MiniVCI to reset any codes and flush the system which requires mini VCI too. $25 at Amazon or eBay.
    Member Galaxee said Prius has over a gallon of fluid.

The Tundra users have a well written thread on TechStream and miniVCI. You should have no questions after reading.
    TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such)

64bit Win7 or Win8, try this links high is contained in the
    (Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Click here for more info on getting the OFFICIAL Toyota repair manual and how to assemble into a PDFS.
    Where to get Prius v Parts and Service Manuals? | PriusChat

#4 exstudent, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As Nh70 say's above to bleed the brakes on the Prius you will need the Mini VCI with Techstream software (supplied with VCI) about $25 on Ebay. Plus a lap top preferably running an old windows 32 bit program:- XP, Vista, 98SE, or Millennium. The software guides you through the process while opening the electrically controlled valves in order to complete the process correctly.
    It cannot be done in the same manor as normal braking systems.

John (Britprius)

6. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

Thanks for all the info. I've order the Mini VCI and I will be sure to be well read on this before tackling this.

This machine is definitely a different beast.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, things have gotten more complex in 30 years. The proper way to do anything like what you were doing to the brakes, is to first disable the ABS system, which is always on even though the car is off. There are self tests performed with the car off, which can be heard from time to time by virtue of the brake pump running. Here is one way to do the work safely:
    Brake service

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of systems in the Prius are straightforward repairs. The brake system is not one of them.

10. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

Well, after getting the replacement OEM caliper installed, I was able to do a manual bleed on the caliper and I could put the car into drive when I turned it on. There were still warning lights on the display, so I took it to a local shop that does brakes and they checked and cleared the codes that were set from the caliper. There weren't any other codes, so he said it should be good if it doesn't code again.

For the past couple of weeks, the brakes have been strong and haven't thrown a code. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Thanks for all the info.

11. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 226867 miles on my Prius, with the original breaks..I think i need new ones now...

12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once or twice a year pebbles seem to get in the brake area, it's annoying, but backing up quickly and lock the brakes a few times has always dislodged them, sorry for the 20-20 hind site;)