1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Caliper Slide Pin Cleaning and Lubrication

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 Prius now has 59,000 miles and is 46 months old. I have delayed cleaning and lubricating the brake caliper hardware because of the issues raised in this forum about inadvertently setting diagnostic trouble codes (DTC). I usually service the brakes every two years or 30,000 miles. Yesterday I decided it was past time to do it and am pleased to report that I serviced the brakes without setting a dreaded DTC.

How I did it:
    · Disconnected positive and negative battery terminals.
    · Did NOT open the driver's door or step on the brake pedal until after the brakes where reassembled and battery reconnected.
    · On the front calipers, I removed the two caliper bolts and tipped out the top ear of the caliper just far enough to allow clearance to remove the top slide pin. After I cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled the top slide pin, I pushed the top ear back in, tipped out the bottom ear of the caliper and removed the bottom slide pin. After I cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled the bottom slide pin, I reinstalled the caliper bolts. By doing it this way, I did not have to remove the caliper and then maybe have to compress the cylinder to reinstall it, risking setting a DTC.
    · On the rear calipers, there is no way I could see to remove the caliper slide pins without removing the caliper. I decided to remove the caliper thinking that the rear brakes are not controlled by the regenerative system. Before I removed the rear caliper, I pulled it against the rotor to slightly compress the caliper piston. After I removed the calipers, I cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled the caliper slide pins. Everything went back together without a problem.

What I found:
    · Both front and rear rotors and brake pads show little wear. I didn't measure the pad thicknesses because they look almost like new.
    · The sliding surfaces in the brackets that the brake pads slide on were clean with no visible wear or corrosion. I didn't do anything to them because they appeared to be working well.
    · The front caliper slide pins still had good grease on them that was not discolored, but it was starting to get thick.
    · The rear caliper slide pins definitely needed to be serviced. The grease had broken down to a black film. One of the rear pins was almost dry.

Thoughts and Conclusions:
    · The brakes were in excellent condition, except for the rear caliper slide pins. If the rear caliper pins are not serviced when needed, they could cause premature brake pad and rotor wear. I recall a few instances on this forum where people have had to replace rear brake pads and rotors at a relatively low mileage.
    · On conventional cars the front brakes usually do more work and get hotter than the rear, but the opposite may be true on the Prius, due to front regenerative braking. This thought is based on the difference I found in the condition of the front and rear caliper grease.
    · No DTCs were set and everything worked fine afterward making this I believe to be a safe procedure for an experienced DIYer. I didn't include pictures with this or more detailed instructions because if you do not have experience working on brakes, you should not attempt this.
    · The brakes feel smoother and more effective now, probably due to restoring the rear caliper pin lubrication and caliper ease of movement.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like you could check your rears every 30k miles or 2 years and fronts every 60k or 4 years and be good to go.

3. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, Den, Thanks for the great report.
    I'm at 122K, second owner, and I'm way past due for this important servicing.
    Your report is the kick in the pants I need to get out there,, but not this weekend....

You brought up some important steps. I suspect once the LV battery is disconnected the car should be dead, but not touching the driver's door is still a good idea.
    I plan on using a light silicone grease on the sliders and the high-temp brake grease ( in little ketchup packs at the counter of parts stores) on where the pads touch the caliper and where they touch the caliper carrier. Very little, just the lightest coat. A light, small wire brush across the those contact points just to knock the dust off and then the grease, mainly as a corrosion preventative.

What grease did you use on the sliders? I think the high-temp brake grease is too thick.
    Plus the sliders don't get that hot and they don't carry any of the braking forces. They just keep the caliper in position on the pads. The pads transfer the braking forces to the caliper carrier.

Thanks again !!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if you do need to push back one or more of the pistons (or do it inadvertently when swinging the caliper back into position), would pumping the brakes a few times prior to hooking up the 12 volt help avoid codes? Or not? I've heard that it's any amount of excess travel of the piston that's causing the car's computer to freak out.

And if it does freak out, is there any low tech recourse? Someone here was talking about hooking up a paper clip jumper between two plug pins, if I'm not mistaken.

And just to second Bill: what's your choice of grease for the pins?

Bill Norton likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thinking about, the 12V battery is maintained by the traction battery, so just disconnecting it may not help. You may also have to remove the orange emergency fuse for the big battery.

7. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used the below "SIL-GLYDE Brake Lubricant" on the caliper slide pins.
    SIL-GLYDE Brake Lubricant.jpg

I also could have used the below Ultra Synthetic or Ceramic Extreme lubricants that I have used on my other larger cars, but decided against them in favor of the SIL-GLYDE because the SIL-GLYDE felt and looked the same as the existing OEM lubricant. Any of these will probably work just fine.
    021.JPG

I didn't use any grease on the slides that the pads ride on because they looked great and grease on these slides can attract dirt, get hard and make matters worse sometimes. However, if I thought the pad slides needed to be greased, I would use the below Sta-Lube grease. It also works well on backing plate contacts points for drum brakes.
    020.JPG

#7 Den49, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  8. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is interesting that there are presently two threads in this forum where people have experienced their rear brakes locking up and having to replace rotors, pads, calipers, etc. It is quite possible that this could result from the caliper slide pin grease breaking down and evaporating like I found on my rear brakes. Without slide pin lubrication, the caliper doesn't slide freely and the pads do not fully release. This can cause the pads to remain in contact with the rotor creating heat. If the heat gets high enough it can cause the caliper to seize destroying the rotor, pads, caliper, hub, bearings, etc.

I mentioned lack of slide pin lubrication in my original post just as a general cause for premature pad wear. Now I am thinking that the Gen3 Prius' thin rotors and lightweight calipers on the rear make it more sensitive than other cars to overheating and catastrophic brake failure when the slide pin grease evaporates.

I expect that Toyota dealers and preventive maintenance skeptics will say the brakes don't need to be serviced, but it looks to me that cleaning and lubricating the caliper slide pins every two years or 30,000 miles should be added to the service schedule if you want to avoid an expense brake repair.

bisco and Bill Norton like this.
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There have also been earlier posts with the same problem. How often it is needed could also be climate related. Places with real winters and salted roads probably need the service more often than most of Northern California, for instance, does.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Canadian Schedule calls for a visual inspection every 12 mo, and a more in-depth "service" every 24 mo. I called our nearby Toyota Service department and the 2nd anniversary, asked about brake service, and they just kinda brushed me off, saying it's not needed. (Another "sealed" unit? :ROFLMAO:)

That was about 6 months back. Thinking maybe I should persist. OTOH, if they're so reluctant to take it on, maybe they're not the best candidates.

It's really rock/hard place, with the electronics: I'm comfortable changing pads, but not so enthused with possibility of ejected pistons, warning lights and so on.

11. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^Mendel -- based on your postings, I think your knowledge of brakes and DIY capability are more than enough to clean and lubricate the slide pins without any adverse results if you do it according to how I described above.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put the whole car up on jackstands yesterday, and for both front and rear, pulled off the calipers, removed and disassembled the pads/shims, then cleaned and reassembled with thin layer of anti-seize compound on all contacting faces. What was on the pads when I opened them up was a very small dab or two of what looked similar to the sil-glyde grease.

I also popped out the caliper pins and relubed with sil-Glyde (mentioned above). They were by no means dry, but looked like they could use a little. The rear brake pins looked darker in appearance, like maybe they were heating a bit, not sure. Also, the front pins are two different lengths.

The car has just over 43000 km's, and here's the numbers I got for pad thickness:

front left outer:7.9
    front left inner:7.7
    front right outer:7.9
    front right inner:7.5
    rear left outer:7.7
    rear left inner:7.1
    rear right outer:7.2
    rear right inner:6.4 (quarter sized fragment flaked off at center slot edge)

(new front pads are 10 mm, near rears 9.5, min is 1 mm for both, though I'd replace them if 3mm or less)

The torque value for caliper mounting bolts (screw into the caliper slide pins) is 25 foot pounds, front and rear. You need a slim 17 mm open end wrench to restrain the pin while loosening or tightening these bolts. I had a thicker wrench, too thick, but browsing Princess Auto I found one, just a bit slimmer, that worked fine. It's thickness is around 6 mm. the older wrench was 8 mm, and that was just too thick.

A couple of cautions:

1. On advice I'd read, I disconnected and isolated the 12 volt negative lead. I also left a glove over the hatch latch mechanism, to prevent it closing, possibly being unopenable. Just for insurance I left the driver's door ajar.

On completion, when all the brakes were assembled and the car back on the ground, I pumped the brake pedal multiple times to build up pressure, then hooked up the 12 volt negative lead, and did a trial start, just a few seconds, then shut it down. There were no warning lights showing on the dash, woohoo! I hope this continues to be the case once we go for a drive today, knock-on-wood.

2. When I first reassembled the rear brakes, there seemed to be an inordinate amount of drag when turning the disk. Rereading the Repair Manual instruction this morning, I see it's saying to rotate the the rear caliper piston. This piston has a cross pattern on it's face: four high portions and four depressions.

The piston should be rotated so that the high cross is sort of in an x pattern, so that there's a depression at the apex, corresponding with pin on the back of the inside pad.

The Repair Manual describes this on a couple of pages, and I still don't think they've explained it clearly. They mention you can rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise, to bring the piston out or in. It's realy not that clear though, which direction to turn it.

Bottom line, lacking the special tool, I used a heavy duty pair of offset needle nose pliers, and rotated the piston clockwise, through around 45 degrees, to move the piston in slightly, and set the piston's depression in line with the pad's pin. Reassembled, the disk turns a lot smoother. I believe I've got it right: parking brake travel seems about the usual.

One thing I noticed after putting everything together: before hooking up the 12 volt I again did multiple depressions of the brake pedal. This time, I heard a clicking sound from the rear of the car, for maybe the first 1/2 dozen of those pushes. Then no more. Maybe this was sort of parking brake auto adjustment happening? Really not sure.

Here's a few pics:

Front right brake, caliper raised but not completely removed:

IMG_0484.JPG

One of the front caliper slide pins:

IMG_0485.JPG

Front brake pads disassembled (inside on right):

IMG_0490.JPG

Rear right brake, with caliper disconnected and pulled away. Note the cross shape on face of piston. It's currently not in optimum position, needs 45 degree rotation:

IMG_0492.JPG

Rear brake pads disassembled (inside on right):

IMG_0494.JPG

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^^ Mendel. Congratulations on a job well done and equally well reported.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  16. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the goal is to stop the guide pins from seizing, couldn't you just remove one guide pin at a time, lub it and put it back ? Is there a reason you are removing the caliber ? Thanks.

17. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Den49,

Every week, I use a alloy wheel cleaner from wallmart to spray in my rims and hose off within 30 sec. Since you seem to know quite a bit about the Prius' brakes, I wonder if this cleaner has the potential to eat away at the vital grease and whatnot that is needed for the parts to work correctly?

I've had sticky sliding pins on my previous car and uneven rear brake wear on another car I owned a decade ago and those were expensive fixes! It would be nice if the prius would not fall into that state too

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could with the front. Pretty hard with the back due to park brake cable.

The caliper's are not that heavy tho, and more efficient to just pull them completely off.

19. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What you are cleaning if its a degreaser is cleaning the rotors. If you want to lube the sliding pin, you just remove or lift the caliper out of the way. The sliding pin is what holds the caliper on the caliper bracket. You won't clean that grease out since its bolted onto the caliper bracket and tucked away by the sliding pin boot.

The sliding pin tend to seize up due to lack of grease after many miles of driving, that's what is causing the uneven brake pads wear. Most often or not, the inner pads wear out more than the other pads. I haven't checked my brakes yet, but I would assume the pads are good. I might lube the sliding pins later on.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cleaner might have an effect on brake fluid hose and the various rubber boots, not sure.

Periodic inspection, and it is spec'd in maintenance, is needed. For pads and pins. Have to say tho it was very clean an new looking for 3 plus years. Otoh, low mileage, garage stored and fairly mild climate (not much salted roads).