1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Caliper Slide Pin Cleaning and Lubrication

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Jun 8, 2013.

1. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. You didn't specify front or back.

"To take off the two calliper mounting bolts, pull the pads out, lube the caliper pins, clean/relube the pad faying surfaces, put everything back togetether, takes about an hour."

It might be prudent for anyone preferring to have this service performed at a Toyota dealer or independent, to ask them specifically how much they would charge to inspect, clean and lube the caliper pins, effectively bypassing any mention of any other brake service.

#61 unigeezer, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Starting to tire of this:

Capture.JPG

3. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not the post I was quoting. Next case.

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think people on here should just stop arguing and "Just do-it" lol...

frodoz737 and Den49 like this.
  5. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree...those that can, do; but, those that can't, ask questions and then argue about the answers they can't comprehend.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately this is true...in fact this usually applies to all "preventative maintenance".

#66 frodoz737, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Den49 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i figure, if it's not in the manual, don't bother. but i think they at least mention inspection, which may lead to some type of service.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The problem...most people wait until something breaks...instead of servicing. There is a reason for my signature

#68 frodoz737, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    guilty as charged.:oops:

10. KenSoren

KenSoren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need to notice where the people live that are pushing for the "brake maintenance". They are in Canada, Boston and other northern climates that have snow and lots of winter crud on their roadways.
    Us in SoCal live in a different world with the lack of real winters and the road crud you find in the northern states.
    Also, the Canadian Prius manual calls out for the brake maintenance which probably indicates problems there but the US Prius manual doesn't.
    Personally, I'm not going to worry about it until it becomes a problem.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's actually two types of brake maintenance mentioned in the US schedule: "visually inspect" and "inspect" of "brake lines, linings, pads and rotors". Words to that effect, haven't got it in front of me.

Still, I think it falls short: adding the expression "caliper operation" would rectify that, my 2 cents.

I talked to my local Toyota dealership Service Manager; he recommended a thorough inspection something like every 30 months.

Anyway, let's hope when your problem develops its not on a steep downgrade, or with a pedestrian in front of you. Yeah I know, getting dour, but really: catch it before it happens.

12. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update at 73,792 miles:

It has been 14,582 miles and slightly more than two years since I first lubricated my 2010 Prius brake caliper slide pins and created this thread. Today, I inspected and lubricated the slide pins again and thought it would be beneficial to provide an update.

What I found:
    • The SIL-GLYDE grease that I applied in June 2013 on the front slide pins was getting thick, but was still the same color as new and probably still functional.

• The SIL-GLYDE grease that I applied in June 2013 on the rear slide pins had turned black, almost dry, and was providing marginal lubrication.

• It is once again evident that the rear brakes are getting hotter and doing more work relative to their capacity than the front brakes.

• The SIL-GLYDE grease appears to be the same type as the OEM slide pin grease, but it did not perform well or very long on the rear slide pins.

• I didn’t bother with measuring the brake pad thickness because they looked very good. The brake pads appeared to be less than half worn and the pad wear was even from wheel to wheel and inboard vs. outboard. The brake rotors are in great shape, smooth with little wear.
    What I did differently this time:
    • I cleaned out all the old SIL-GLYDE grease from both the front and rear slide pins and lubricated them this time with “Permatex, Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant”. See Post #7 of this thread for a picture. I have used this grease on other cars, including my 2013 Avalon Hybrid and it has always performed very well.
    After I re-lubricated the slide pins with the Permatex grease, the brakes operate much smoother and more effectively. I recommend that anyone lubricating their Prius brake caliper slide pins use a high temperature ceramic brake parts lubricant such as the above Permatex product, not a lower temperature grease like SIL-GLYDE.

13. OBJ

OBJ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, I am going to ask my mechanic to do this with my next service.

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 3m silicone paste or Motorcraft version work pretty well. Especially the Motorcraft version.

I've had issues with the Permatex purple stuff drying out.

iPhone ?

15. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    which one is this?
    the ceramic extreme one or the ultra disk ?

16. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ceramic.

iPhone ?

17. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just like any grease, they all dry out at and get used up during operation. Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant has lasted for me up to 3 years and 30,000 miles of service on brake caliper slide pins. I have used it on several cars large and small for about six years.

The points that should not be lost are: if you want to avoid Prius brake problems and premature brake replacement, the caliper slide pins should be cleaned and lubricated every two years or 24,000 miles; and, the slide pin grease should be the high temperature type, whichever brand you prefer.

The Critic and frodoz737 like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe premature to blame Sil-Glyde? I mean, down the road, you could open it up again and find the same thing happening with the Permatex.

It seems odd, that your front caliper pins are looking ok, but the rears were nearly baked. Raise the rear end, and check wheel freespin with the parking brake released?

It does not seem normal, for the rears to be running so much hotter. I can't see the engineers being happy with this, designing with such a difference.

I found it was very important to:

1. Make sure the pad pin was in between piston spokes.
    2. Make sure it stays that way, by (post assembly) multiple pressing of the brake pedal, to ensure the pin is firmly seated, prior to applying the parking brake.

On ours, if I check all four wheels after an extended drive, they're all barely above ambient temp, if anything. The rears are no warmer than the front.

19. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen this condition where the rear brake caliper pin grease has failed before the front brake caliper pin grease now twice. It is also consistent with the rear brake problems others report. My brakes are otherwise operating as they should.

The Permatex has a higher heat specification than the SIL-GLYDE, but we shall see. If I still have this car two years from now I will report again on the condition of the caliper pin grease. That will be three data points.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how about using something that is actually specified by toyota?