1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake codes from Tech Stream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Jul 28, 2020.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So my big screwup was evacuating the brake fluid reservoir during the engine swap. Silly me...I thought it would be nice to replace the reservoir fluid anyway. This all created a fairly spongy brake pedal but i still put several hundred miles on. Meanwhile, i got what is likely the Tech Stream knockoff from Amazon. Codes are now C1202, C1253, C1256, C1319 which all seem to relate to low brake fluid, low brake pressure, ABS, etc. I started bleeding using tech stream and when the front brakes were finished, the computer stopped talking to the car...possibly due to low 12v battery or dead computer battery. Then, I finished the rear brakes using the time tested method used before cars were smarter than me. Any predictions on whether this will work or whether the codes will vanish on their own? The pedal is quite a bit more firm.

2. Moses Bruh

Moses Bruh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    unlikely to vanish on its own, im gonna say youd want to rebleed the brakes on techstream with a new 12v battery or at least once that is fully charged before starting.

donzoh1 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might retry bleeding with a plugged-in 12 V power supply supplementing the battery. Going through the full Techstream procedure (especially the longer one for where air might have entered the head end) can get the battery pretty low before you are done, and that's if you don't have a knock-off dongle that "loses communication with vehicle" 5 tries out of 6 and make you start over.

donzoh1 likes this.
  4. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also have the red BRAKE letters which I'm thinking could be linked to ABS? Also, tire air pressure warning. The computer had the letters N/A next in place of the air pressure value which I'm guessing means dead sensor battery.

5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used the Tech Stream procedure to bleed the brakes. While doing the left rear, the brake pump came on and dispensed a good deal of fluid thru the bleed tube as expected. This didn't happen on the passenger rear so I'm wondering whether that side is correct. Anyway, I cleared the codes and drove the car. Several of the ABS codes went away but not the 1202 code which could not even be cleared. Could this be a bad level sensor or connector and where is this connector? The pics show the codes before and after
    bleeding. Also, prior to engine start, there's a buzzing sound under the hood that sounds like a quiet sump pump. Du nno whether this is normal for a Prius or has to do with the actuator. No barking though.

Attached Files:

#5 donzoh1, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020