1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Control Power Supply after 12V Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rodney Rodriguez, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Rodney Rodriguez

Rodney Rodriguez New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my local Toyota dealer replace the 12V battery in my 2004 Prius. When I left the dealer, the yellow ((!)) indicator flashed. Not knowing what it meant, I drove 2 miles home. I brought it in the next morning to the same dealer. Their assessment was a shorted ABS power supply (Part No. 89680-33010). The first question I asked was if this was related to the battery replacement. Which, of course, the service rep said no.

I've read a few threads on the ABS power supply and battery replacement to make me think it was a technician's error when they replaced the battery. Does anyone agree with me? Or am I just bitter about paying $600 for the power supply?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow, those power supplies are very easy to replace. takes most people about 5 minutes.

Well no use getting bitter now, what's done is done. your car works!

3. Rodney Rodriguez

Rodney Rodriguez New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The part alone is $440. It isn't repaired yet.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll sell you one. I have a spare

andrewclaus likes this.
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can buy them new on line for the low $300s, used for around $70, maybe less.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it doesn't look like it would be easy to harm electrically. I've changed many 12V Prius batteries, following instructions, and have never seen a warning about damaging that. But get the old part and look for mechanical damage. If it got crushed or penetrated by a tool, different story.