1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake drag no more

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by koco, Oct 7, 2021.

1. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My mpg in 2005 base was kind of low after tune up, so I checked the front brakes.

I cleaned the pads and used some synthetic brake grease on the top and bottom tabs where the pads contact the clips in the calipers. They were dry and had a slight bit of rust in the area.

The slider pins looked good and their grease was good.

After this, I notice an mpg gain of 5 or 6 mpg...not bad for $1.79 in brake grease.

SFO likes this.
  2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s the problem with hybrids, the brakes don’t wear out they just get old and immobile from lack of exercise. Law of unintended consequences.

3. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also, it looked like the brake pads were installed with no grease on the tabs previously. At least the slider pins have dust boots to keep the dirt out, some designs have the pins in the open to rust.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2nd gen Repair Manual brake excerpt attached, showing recommended lube points. I use Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant where "lithium soap base glycol group" is spec'd, and Permatex Anti-Seize (silver) for "disc brake grease". Used the same combo on Honda's for decades.

If by "tabs" you mean these points:

upload_2021-10-8_11-52-34.png

There is no indication in the Repair Manual to apply grease. Toyota recommends to put various dime-sized blobs of the disc brake grease between pad back and inner shim. I take that with a grain of salt, typically apply a thin, even coat of anti-seize to the shims (for both inner and outer pads):

upload_2021-10-8_11-58-7.png

Plus on the points of contact between caliper and shim. A little hard to show:

upload_2021-10-8_12-1-25.png

Attached Files:

#4 Mendel Leisk, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  5. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, those are the "tabs". I am going by knowledge gained from working on other cars and technical training in automotive technology. The amount of grease I put on there is very small, and I did see signs that these are friction points judging by the parts that were polished shiny from movement.

Whatever the case, it freed up the brakes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.