1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lwinter, May 26, 2006.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If nothing else, everyone who does not regularly use their parking brake should go practice stomping on it a few times, just to remind their hindbrains and feet where that pedal is in case the normal brakes should ever fail.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 6 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]456752[/snapback]</div>
    I certainly wouldn't rely on my parking brake in a real emergency.

I had the dealer check it last week when the car was in for an oil change. The service manager said it was working as it should. The test being put it in forward or reverse on level ground to see if it creeps. The trouble is, if I put the brake on in my driveway which is an incline, it'll roll backward if in reverse with the parking brake on. Just how strongly should the parking brake hold?

Dave M.

3. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I too bought my Prius from Michael Toyota. I haven't been back there to have any service done, but there was one sales guy that was incredibly helpful; a self-proclaimed uber-enthusiastic Prius geek. His name was Evan Shroeder. Maybe give him a call and see if he can offer up advice?

4. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jun 6 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]456928[/snapback]</div>
    Mashed to the floor *and with the car in N* I expect the parking brake to hold the car on modest inclines. Make the slope steep enough and/or the brake application insufficient and/or put the thing in gear, and yeah, at some point you will overcome the parking brake.

In many emergencies even an inadequate parking brake is better than no brakes at all.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 7 2007, 03:57 AM) [snapback]457243[/snapback]</div>
    OK. Guess it's doing what it should. But, that doesn't seem like much.

Dave M.

6. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting thread. Does anyone know if having the can view allows the error code to be viewed / saved / etc?

2005 prius with 67,000 miles and no brake anomalies....yet? :eek:

7. jvwalshmd

jvwalshmd New Member

Another two brake failures at low speed resulting in rear endings and $4000-$5000 in damage. My girl friend has a 2006 Prius and I have a 2007 Prius. In separate accidents separated only by a few months, our brakes did not work and we both rear-ended the driver in front of us. Both of us were quite surprised. In each case the sloped front hood slid under the car ahead causing substantial damage to us but not to them.
    In each case we were going so slowly that the seat belts did not deploy - or else perhaps the seat belts do not deploy when the car slips under another.
    When I was towed into the shop after my accident I saw yet another Prius that looked like it had been involved in the same sort of accident.
    So that is three. I have contacted Consumer Reports, but no answer as yet.
    Seems dangerous.
    jw

8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have a safety issue, you can report it to NHTSA. They can investigate and order a recall. The more complaints they get about an issue, the more likely they'll do something.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john Walsh @ Aug 26 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]502376[/snapback]</div>
    The 2007 package 9 relies on the thrust reverser for most of the braking force. Sounds like you need to return to the dealer to have yours adjusted. Meanwhile, stop tailgating.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, Jim, but you're wrong on that one. The Package 9 uses a flux capacitor. Or is it the Corbomite device? The Interociter?

11. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john Walsh @ Aug 26 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]502376[/snapback]</div>
    Consumer Reports? Are you sure it wasn't ConsumerAffairs.com?

"john Walsh" (sic) how's the lawsuit going with America's Most Wanted carmaker?

-------------

You guys are way off on this one. Anyone who's been driving the Prius for more than a month knows this happens all the time... it's a discombobulated fragistat, a simple recalcinization of the interocitor's tilium seals is all that's needed, unless he's been adding dilithium carbide or cobolt-60 to the solenoid. Then only Cptn Mandrake can save us.

-------------

I was rear-ended once. The police officer informed me that the smashed hood always happens when the car in back brakes, and thier nose dives below the car in front.

We should really make package 10 available to new reigistrations, for troll bait. Can Danny lookup IP adresses of posters. If this is fraudulent, this could be part of a corporate disinformation campaign... this kind of thing has been getting exposed more often recently.

Needless to say, I think this is quite suspect.

Of course, the OP could prove me wrong by posting photos, etc...

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 26 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]502577[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't the Corbomite Device cause the car to burst into flames when run into a convenience store?

13. RJSAviator76

RJSAviator76 New Member

Add another accident.

I had one today. IDENTICAL problem as Kareen's. It's a 2006 Prius with 27k miles on it. As I was approaching the traffic light, I started to brake... nothing happened, literally. As I added more brake pressure, nothing.. I had it floored.. nothing, next second we hit the car in front of us. This all took 3 seconds.

I filled out a complaint on NHSTA website.

Sitting back and replaying the whole thing, I'm just glad it happened the way it did and not coming onto a busy and fast street where I or someone in my family could have gotten T-boned, or even worse if a kid got in front of my car.

Something is definitely not right...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kareen @ Jun 2 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]454016[/snapback]</div>

14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RJSAviator76 @ Sep 1 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]505657[/snapback]</div>

Another 2006 "Package #9" owner with one post and a problem.

Maybe it's just coincidental but why does the combination of dramatic problems always seem to coincide with cars that can't exist?

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We need to put out an anouncement that anyone with a package #9 Prius return it to the dealer for brake work and a reality check.
    Funny thing is that while the Prius has a different sort of booster on the brakes it's still normal old hydralics and mechanical connection from the pedal to the hydraulic bit like every other car.

Could it just be follow too close?

17. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello... I'm a new member here and just bought our Prius last Friday before the Holiday weekend. After reading this thread (and others referenced here), I started paying a bit more attention (weeks ago, prior to making our purchase), and noticed that there are quite a few salvage title Prius of newer model years (2005-2007) in my craigslist area (or check ebay even). Many state outright salvage is due to accident of front end damage nature. I compared the number of salvage Prius's to other models (same years) and found the number of Prius's to be a lot higher. Just an observation...

18. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Used Prius have an incredibly high resale value. That tends to increase the frequence of salvage rebuilds.

I think the users that post accidents have imaginary cars. They think that by picking package number 9 people will think they bought the "best" model. They also think that the brakes are fully electronic. Of course, the brakes are only partially electronic and in the end they work just like regular brakes if the regen braking system fails. These brake failures described are impossible.

19. RJSAviator76

RJSAviator76 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Sep 4 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]506748[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I don't know how Package 9 came about. I have Package 1. Brake problem with Prius can't exist? Ask my passenger who observed it all.

Additionally, I hope you never experience the helplessness being in a car with a brake to the floor and no deceleration.

20. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Sep 4 2007, 07:12 AM) [snapback]506748[/snapback]</div>
    I think the problem lies with the PriusChat sign-up procedure...Package #9 might be the default, and either people don't know what package they have, or they don't notice there IS a package number, or they don't care enough about it to change it.