1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lwinter, May 26, 2006.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The C1247 has popped up more than once, so hopefully it will provide a clue to Toyota. I really hope they fix this or have fixed it before it causes any fatalities....if it hasn't already.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dad's 2007 had the C1247 code again; the skid control ECU was replaced. See the previously cited message string in post #75 for details.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read Hobbit's article about the brakes, and I now know that the self-adjusters work in either direction: forward or reverse. The parking brake doesn't do the adjustment.

So, as long as you're applying your brakes regularly, they should self-adjust, barring mechanical problems or rust.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  5. echase

echase New Member

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Law,

I had the same symptoms on a high mileage Subaru. The cause (after much diagnosing and fearful driving) was a bad wheel bearing. a wobble in one wheel confused the ABS system.

JeffD

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    No.

8. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cross-posted to that thread too by me:

Speculating that this is caused by brake failure is totally irresponsible.

Absent any details of the accident, the only fact you have is that the Prius hit a parked truck.

Sorka, you are trying to argue that because that bit of information fits your agenda in the brake argument, that it supports your argument. By itself, that fact does not.

It is true that a brake failure usually causes a rear-end accident. But in this case there is absolutely no evidence of that. There are a dozen causes of rear-end accidents, none of which are related to the brakes. (Best one? Inattention: not hitting the brakes in time to stop.)

Please use sense in this situation. The fault in your argument makes it harder for people to take you seriously; if you keep this up you will appear to be a crank.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You can be pissed off all you like by what you call my speculation, but I have a right to at least raise the possibility since the cause is not known. Given there are dozens of reports on the NHTSA site of owners pressing the pedal and having it go all the way to the floor without slowing down the car, it doesn't take much of a leap to at least ask the question. In this case, we'll never know because the guy who died won't file an NHTSA incident with his personal account of what happened. The odds are that it was probably operator error, but given the unusual incidence of the particular type of complete brake failure that has been reported, I'd sure like to know.

Your saying that I have an agenda is pure paranoia.

10. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, let's say it could be the brakes. Let's not wait for the smoking gun in the form of a mushroom cloud.

But for fun, let's say it was the brakes: Who the F&$k are you going to ask? The dead guy? Are you going to have a Toyota tech try to pull codes from the crushed car? The Toyota service department would just prop the dead guy back up in the driver's seat and tell him there was nothing wrong, then wonder why he does not drive off a happy customer.

Either way, no point in bringing it into this thread.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it's pure speculation. Just because you and I don't know the cause of the accident doesn't mean the cause is unknown. The accident has no doubt been investigated already.

I agree that without a witness we may never know whether the driver was asleep or frantically trying to stop. The fact, however, that the car went into a parking area and struck a parked vehicle doesn't support a no-brakes theory.

I disagree. You're strongly concerned about brake failure. Here we have a collision which can have many causes. You immediately trotted out brake failure, as if all other possible causes had been eliminated.

You are clearly trying to support your position with this accident, without regard as to whether it's germane or not. I'm not paranoid, just really careful with those who throw around words without anything to back them.

You've already cited NHTSA reports. Fine, now make some noise and make those folks take action. If there are several valid reports, then there will be more, and you don't need this accident to bump up the numbers.

12. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why do you continue to post the EXACT same thing? Here's another you posted after this post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma...7-prius-leading-brake-failure.html#post685284

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

... Brad

13. ganderc

ganderc New Member

I read that they redesigned the braking systems for the 2010 Prius. That appears to be Toyota's response to the fact that the U.S. Generation 2 Prius (2004-2009) has had low-speed brake failures reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at 31 times the rate of such failures reported for the 2004-2009 Corolla, which of course has traditional brakes. Many of the Prius low speed brake failures were in low-speed city traffic, resulting in rear-end collisions without injury. It appears that the several computers that control the complex braking systems were too busy calculating the most efficient way to apply the brakes, and did not get around to actually applying them, until it was too late. Toyota never took responsibility for the problem, but the 2010 redesign indicates they were aware of it. Unfortunately, the NHTSA never initiated an investigation despite the extremely high rate of failures. The detailed failure reports ("complaints") are available to the public on the NHTSA website. The details are these: Through March 2009, 2004-2009 Prius has received 44 complaints of low speed brake failure. 2004-2009 Corolla has received 7 complaints of such failures. Given that about five times more Corollas than Prius were sold during 2004-2009, 44/(7/5) = 31 times the rate of brake failure for the Generation 2 Prius. Let's hope the 2010's brakes work!

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 2010 still used a "by wire" braking system that allows reversion to hydraulic brakes on the front wheels in case of failure

I'm wondering how many of the claimed brake "failures" were caused by the mat slipping up, or the driver hitting the gas instead of the brake. The Audi at one time had a reputation for running wild too

15. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please quit feeding the obvious (OP) troll. :tsk:

... Brad

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whether the troll talks about brake "failure," the "facts" from a known ambulance chasing lawyer site, the "moonscape" around Sudbury ON, replacing batteries every 3 years, etc, I correct the troll

Odds are, the troll never returns.

I really do have to wonder why a simple car can raise such hatred in a handful of folks?

17. mauimills

mauimills New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, all wheel drive, with 53,000 miles. Two months ago I had the tires rotated (all tires are the same size and age) and the engine battery replaced. The old battery had been bad for several months as I hadn't had the money to replace it. Immediately afterward I started experiencing intermittent VSC alarms (when this happens, everything lights up including ABS). When this happens the brakes become mushy and I believe that only the rear brakes are operating. I believe only the rear brakes are working because the one time I hit the brakes hard I locked up the rear brakes and skidded. To get rid of the alarm I simply turn the engine off for 15 seconds and restart (a real pain if you're on the freeway).

Of course I took it to the dealer and they said the VSC computer had to be replaced ($1940). I didn't have the money, so I kept driving the car. Now I realize that the problem is associated with how I use the brake pedal. If I release the brake pedal with a swift motion (you hear the pedal pop back up), I don't have the problem. If I slowly release the brake pedal or have the car slide forward with my foot on the brake, I get the alarm.

I took it to a second dealer (the mechanic was a friend of a friend) and he also tried to adjust the problem with no success. After driving the car with this problem for two months, the VSC alarms have stopped for about two weeks.

After reading this forum, you guys have confirmed my trial and error findings. This is not a VSC problem. This is some kind of ABS problem. The solutions seem to be oriented to low battery voltage, bad ABS pump motor (which is apparently nothing more than a lightweight electric motor), bad tire inflation, or worn tires (I have about 26,000 miles on a set of 80,000 mile Yokohoma's).

Can someone suggest a troubleshooting chronology for me to follow to fix this problem?

Thanks, Bill

18. snash

snash New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Brake failure 2004 Prius

My wife was driving our 2004 Prius on the San Francisco Bay Bridge when several dash lights came on. She put the brakes on and heard this loud noise and lost all braking power, but got off the bridge ok.
    We recieved a quote to repair for $3200. Since we had sold a paid off Lexus to buy this Prius as a statement of our attempt as a contribute to the green footprint - we are very disappointed in the repair cost (took the fuel savings in the last 5 years right out the window).

We placed a 'claim to Toyota' customer care and were rejected. We will ask for support with Channel 7 News that helps with these type of issues

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Repair what? What failed, exactly?

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model: