1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure @ 57k???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daryl K, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a Gen 3 (and presumably Gen 4) that should be ok. Gen 1 and Gen 2 require regular use of the parking brake for the rear brake adjusters to function.

-Chap

ETP likes this.
  2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What was the final bill? $400 for everything in the back is cheap for rotors, all pads, rebuild calipers or replace, flush. Oh yeah, the flush argh!

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm an inlander these days, but Goofy spends quite a bit of time in a salt air environment, and we have several other G3s in our local turf (fleet vehicles.) Also G3's are rather popular in coastal California.
    I'm thinking therefore that corrosive failure for the rear brake calipers doesn't represent a failure for Toyota's Q/A but rather a misunderstanding of basic car maintenance...either at the dealership or in the driveway.

I've said it myself.
    Priuses are pretty much just filters and fluids out to about 125,000 miles.....HOWEVER (comma!) one does have to also do things like rotate tires, change wipers, check signaling lamps, perform hull bottom inspections and...............(wait for it!)................check the brakes every now and again before the 125,000 mile mark.
    All of this is spelled out in the maintenance schedule, which to be upfront and honest with everybody here...I'm not all that familiar with for the Prius.
    I don't have to be, since my car is a fleet vehicle.

(Note to self: NEVER buy an off-lease or previous rental vehicle!) ;)

Since many car owners have a closed-hood maintenance philosophy, they either need to identify and use hired muscle to perform these checks----or hope that when a failure occurs that it's not more catastrophic than a $400 brake repair.

I can afford to pay to have my maintenance checks done----even at my humble salary but what I cannot afford is to have some entry-level wrench NOT perform a thorough check when I take the car in for service, so I have to take ownership of the ownership task.
    Part of it comes from my motorcycle/bicycle background (to say nothing of my submarine experience,)
    Part of it comes from the fact that cars are pretty darned expensive these days.

Priuses DO have a weak link, but it's not the brakes and it's not all of the 'sudden oil usage' threads in this forum, and it's not even the crooked dealers that will spend five minutes trying to sell you a throttle body service package while they're not wiggling brake calipers.

#23 ETC(SS), Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  4. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is horrible....so sorry about your brakes...my Prius c has 27,500 on it now and I didn't know I had to watch the brakes so carefully....my Toyota dealer reported to Toyota.com that my Prius c had 33,400 miles on it when I bought it....it had 26,400 miles but the dealer refused to correct its mistake and I had to fight to receive my pink slip with the correct mileage on it....it took two months for my pink slip and registration to arrive....my insurance company was waiting for title to be transferred to me so I have not had an insurance card or registration in my car.....very frustrating but I love the car

5. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I am confident beyond 100% that I've never driven with the parking brake on. Not only do I actually look at the dash all the time, but am very much a "seat of the pants" driver and would notice the difference in response immediately. I think I did not see the light once or twice - in very bright sunlight - but moved all of about 3 feet before noticing how much more sluggish the car was and checked the e-brake. I blame a number of seasons of SCCA racing when I was younger for the "hyper sensitivity."

I am in NE Ohio, however, where they salt the roads 10x a day between November and April any time the temp even approaches freezing. Add in the fact that I consciously try to use 100% regen braking as much as possible, and I suspect the freeze up was due to, if anything, lack of use combined with corrosion. Still disappointing that it was under 60k miles, and I've owned many cars over the years with all the same conditions....except they weren't hybrids, and I suspect a weakness

I do most of my own maintenance, including swapping out with dedicated snow tires in the winter, and I think the springtime change back might be the best time to routinely look at this.

Merged.

Almost exactly $400 - a few cents over, but under $401. It sounds cheap because it was not the dealer, but a local garage I know very well and trust far more than the dealership. They used all Toyota parts, but of course their labor rate isn't what a dealer charges.

#25 Daryl K, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not a bad deal on brakes, and it took a while for this to happen. Periodic checks were likely neglected, caliper pin lube mighta helped. Maybe just change your perception, instead of thinking "brake failure at 57K", think "brake work needed...".

I still suspect misalignment of the pad pin on the caliper piston's cross pattern. If you could see the old pads, look at the backing plate of the pad in contact with the caliper piston: there's a stubby pin, does it look relatively pristine, or is the top face chewed up and bevelled?

ETP likes this.
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, because it's located for easy viewing by the passenger, not by the driver. Clever, huh?

ETP likes this.
  8. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The center-mount instruments are a pain, but I have zero issue seeing everything there. My biggest grief there is the vacuum fluorescent display, which washes out easily on sunny days (hence my comment that the few times I did not see it was from the sun). Add in polarized sunglasses, and, well, you get the idea...

CR94 and ETP like this.
  9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    While it's never pleasant to have an unexpected repair -- a 4 year old car with 60k can have many things go wrong. The brake components are living in very harsh environment. Calipers with pins all have the possibility to stick.

We have two Prius in the fleet -- they are the only cars that have not needed brake work at 60k. The cars are so reliable -- I think they get neglected.

Mine get inspected even 10k with the rotation/ oil change.

ETP likes this.
  10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Boy cars are more reliable than they use to be.

11. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL! Two weeks after getting the brakes fixed now I am getting a loud suspension noise over bumps. I went under the car and my best guess is the rear sway bar bushings, since all the usual suspects (heat shields, etc.) still seem solid.

Considering how reliable Prii are regarded I must've picked the Toyota equivalent of a lemon. :)

12. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Turns out the noise was not from the suspension, but from the Toyota brake pads. My shop bought a second pair (Toyota OEM) and same thing. They installed 3rd-party brake pads and now it's quiet.

A cursory search in this group reveals this to be a known issue. Very disappointing Toyota!