1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NinaF, Dec 18, 2016.

1. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched the 2004 forums, but didn't find an answer for my problem. I apologize if I miss it and ask you to send me the link. My 2004 Prius has 102K miles on it, never had an accident, brake fluid is at OK level. Never before in the 13 years I drive my Prius, this has happened, even in the coldest of weathers. However, for the second time this winter, two weeks apart, when temperatures were at about 25/30 F, the brakes did not work immediately when pressed and it took me pressing it several times to get the car to stop. When it finally stopped, it's was an abrupt stop. Roads are fine, no icy, no water, completely dry, no bumps. When this happens, ABS, break and VSC lights appear suddenly (they were not there when I started driving, only about 5-7 minutes after the car is running). It happened when I was driving, fortunately slowly, and I had to carefully take the car off the road. I was scared, with people honking behind me and getting mad because I was not going with the traffic flow. If I leave the car on and wait, all the lights will eventually disappear and the car will work fine. I'm afraid of driving it though and today I left it sitting on a random parking lot near my house. The car sleeps outside, not in a garage. The nearest Toyota dealership is 1 hour away and I will not drive there because I'm afraid this will happen when I'm at 70 mp. The tow will cost a good amount of money. Any suggestions of things I might try BEFORE having it towed? Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! are you a clever diy'er and solid mechanic? if not, i would pay for the tow. brakes are nothing to fool around with.
    you have a 12 year old car that is going to need more and more maintenance. you can read the trouble codes, if you're persistent, and report them here for advice.
    one easy check is the 12 volt battery. how old is it, and what condition? all the best!(y)

3. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

No, I'm not a mechanic/diy'er at all. However, I was reading in one of the threads something about moisture in the break fuel coil/pump (?) that disappears once the car is warm. Another thing, since my Prius is out of the warranty, would it be OK to bring it to a good in-town, mechanic (not Toyota specific)?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be okay, but talk to them first about there hybrid knowledge, comfort level and equipment.

5. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agreed, find out if the mechanic can read the Prius ABS diagnostic codes. It may take a specific scanner. And working on the hydraulic system takes Prius-specific knowledge and tools. Otherwise, tow it to the dealer.

There is a recent warranty enhancement or extension on part of the ABS system, the accumulator. Hopefully you're covered. Don't let anyone erase the diagnostic codes.

bisco likes this.
  7. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much! I called Toyota's costumer care center and they told me that I could take my car to a local garage and, if the problem is indeed the accumulator, they will refund me. The car is there now, but they will only be able to work on it next Tuesday.

bisco likes this.
  8. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update. The mechanic just called and said that it's nothing major. Brake pads, low brake fluid, something in this mix (I didn't really understand the terminology) causing a bit of a leakage. $360 and my beloved Prius will be just fine. It's my intention to drive my car for many years to come. It's my four dogs' car after all and, despite it being old (as far as cars go) and very hairy, I love it. It surely has been the most reliable and problem-free car I have ever had. When my 2004 Prius crosses the Rainbow Bridge, I will get yet another Prius.:)

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You might well want to poke around this forum for various threads on de-hairing the air intake and ductwork near the back seat, used for keeping the battery cool, to be sure you get the longest life out of your Prius.

-Chap

valde3 likes this.
  10. NinaF

NinaF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know this could be done. Thanks! I will surely investigate.