1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure in very cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by midwestcoast, Jan 16, 2016.

1. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi folks. Long time lurker here needing some advice.
    I have a 2006 Pri with 194,000 miles on it that has been dead reliable & owes me nothing really, now developing a serious problem.
    Only when it is below about 10 deg F I will get total failure of the power braking system on or shortly after startup Has happened on 3 days this winter. ABS light, Brake warning, continuous high pitched beep (very annoying ;) warning the driver of immanent death!
    When this happens I get almost no movement on the brake pedal. It's rock hard & acts pretty much like loosing power brakes on any car (ie. you will eventually stop, but not a safe condition). There is no transition to this condition. It's either "everything normal" or total failure. Brake fluid reads half way between min & max and looks clean, no sign of moisture, but has never been flushed.
    The last time it happened I was leaving work, couldn't swap cars... so I drove straight to the dealer (white knuckled).
    Dealer calls the next day saying it's the Brake Actuator needing replacement. Estimate = $3,700
    I told them I wasn't spending that & to look again for a cheaper problem like Fluid, 12v battery, Relay...
    No dice. They confirm it's the actuator.
    The code they read is C1256. They "checked resistance at actuator pins & found high resistance at pins 1&2."
    I do some of my own work, but this replacement is WAY over my head for many reasons.

I'm thinking about just topping up the fluid a bit more, or getting the fluid flushed & changed, or changing the 12v battery (I need to check voltage on next cold morning), or just not driving it at those temps & hoping it doesn't get worse.

Advice/suggestions?

I could really use another year or 2 out of this old girl. My commute is only 30 miles RT & for everything else the family is rolling in a 2012 Prius V

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i understand used Brake Actuators are cheap on ebay. if this is the only problem in 194,000 miles, not bad.
    BTW, you posted in the wrong forum.

3. midwestcoast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Crap. Thx.
    Will a moderator please move it over to Gen 2?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are smart things you could do, like reading the brake trouble codes yourself, and following through the troubleshooting steps in the manual for them yourself. Nobody could blame you for checking the facts yourself before taking the dealer's word on a $3.7k repair.

If the facts point to the actuator, nobody could say you weren't smart if you checked for less expensive sourcing options.

If the facts point to the actuator, the system is sounding the alarm for you (not even all brake problems do that), and you decide to ditz around with the brake fluid or battery because you don't want the facts to be what the facts are ... that, I'm afraid, could be called not smart.

It would certainly be called not smart by the other party's lawyer if an accident occurred, which could develop into a pretty bad day.

-Chap

5. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is your answer: you never ever changed the brake fluid on your 194k mile car.

Brake fluid should be changed every 30k miles or 3 years. (Approx). I am sure a person can get away and go beyond those intervals, but you are way beyond that time frame.

Whatever sensitive component the fluid came in contact with in that 194k miles/time frame is probably "fooked".

Your brakes are unresponsive partially because you have moisture in your brake fluid that is frozen.

iPhone ?

#5 sillylilwabbit, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a supplement I can take that will make me that sure I know what somebody else's problem is, 2000 miles away by reading one forum post?

The hard-pedal symptom is consistent with loss of boost pressure, which is consistent with the audible alarm and (IIRC) the C1256 code. The meaning of "high resistance at pins 1&2" I can't interpret from here because I've never downloaded a Gen 3 repair manual or wiring diagram, but if it were my car I'd sure be over at techinfo.toyota.com doing that. Maybe that would turn out to be consistent with "frozen moisture in the brake fluid", but I'd kind of have to know what pins 1&2 connect to on a Gen 3 actuator to be sure.

A long-time PriusChat contributor, hobbit, did some interesting work with old Prius brake fluid and test strips, and some follow-on research, some years ago. He was surprised at how little the fluid had degraded, compared to other cars.

-Chap

GrGramps likes this.
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting. Any clue why? I'd suppose the tendency of atmospheric moisture to permeate through hoses and seals would be about the same as on other cars.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my guess would be minimal brake pads wear. as they wear little, fluid level stays unchanged and little (humid) air enters the fluid container.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would hate to spoil the ending ... the story starts about 1/3 of the way down the page.

100K maint - 1

-Chap

dorunron likes this.
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Chapman for linking the above. I read this quite a while back, but had forgotten what hobbit had wrote. I won't say anything else. Anything else will spoil the ending (y)

11. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, how is the car parked? Outside or garaged?

Since moisture gets into brake lines over time (which is why you flush brake fluid every few years), I'd not be surprised that the high-tech brake systems would register a "fault" under such situations.

12. midwestcoast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The poor thing has never know a garage. Street parked.

13. midwestcoast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link on brake fluid tests.
    Feeling less embarassed about not having the fluid flushed...

I have a work truck that I can drive, so the Prius has been sitting.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a rule, brake fluid should be flushed every 3 or so years...depending on application and humidity. If you pay attention, you'll notice a decrease in braking effectiveness, and that may be a sign it's due.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Canadian Schedule calls for brake fluid changes. I thought it was just a recently adapted policy, maybe starting in 2014, but had a second look at my 2010 maintenance booklet, see it's buried in there too, albeit with slightly different interval.

Canadian 2010 Prius Owner's Manual Supplement. Note, this schedule covers all Toyota vehicles, so is a real mish-mash of qualifiers and provisos:

Capture.JPG

Canadian 2014 Prius Owner's Manual Supplement. Still encompasses all Toyota vehicles, but now a complete schedule in handy table format. Much easier read than the US schedule:

Capture.JPG

I'm not sure about the US schedule: last time I looked, when I made up a spreadsheet version of it, don't think there was mention of brake fluid change.