1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nickshelley, May 10, 2007.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remaining mysteries include: why wasn't the dealer able to diagnose this failure the first time, and why did they let you drive the car away with an unrepaired brake problem.

2. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

That is exactly what happened to me on Sunday. Limped home, when I restarted brake warnings were out, resatrted again, all lights had cleared. At dealer now. They say I ran out of gas and that caused it (well, I did, once, in 2005); the other code was "lost communication with brake control module" there may be more but the service rep was just trying to convince me that It was all because I ran out of gas. The engine didn't even shut down and I have driven it for 3 days since without adding any gas, so that obviously isn't it. I will suggest the items that they told nick to replace. My car is still under warrantee. Any other suggestions would be great!

-John

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These were both 2005 cars that did this I think. interesting to be sure.

Is the ECU different on the 05 than the 04? and is the ECU different on the 06,07,and 08 than the 05?

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bad cable or connector somewhere, I'd guess. A firmware error seems a lot less likely at this late date.

5. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well, they cleared the codes, drove it a few miles, checked the codes again, and said it was OK! Said if it happened again to bring it in. They can't get past that "out of gas" in the code history (2005!) but ignore the evidence in the current codes, which are:
    23000 U0219 lost communication with brake system control module
    C1300 ABS ECU Malfunction code
    U0121 lost communication with ABS Cantrol module
    B2775 interior verification to theft deterrent ECU/ smart key ECU

"Multiple code generally set when fuel run out occurs " - But these were ALL current codes. Only U0129, P3193 (fuel run out), P0A0F were in HISTORY and data to 2005.

I have written the service manager to have him look at this and will also contact another dealer--this one is incredibly condescending and refuses to look logically at the problem. Wouldn't even check harnesses/relays if the computer didn't tell him to.

Added: Just realized that my code C1300 ABS ECU Malfunction is the same code Nick had, but described as Skid Control ECU Malfunction. Which is it? I assume 2 separate ECUs.

At least it cost me nothing.

-John

6. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Woo Hoo! Service manager called to say that he is ordering the ABS ECU and when it comes in he will replace and give me a loaner so they can do an extensive test drive. I have to say, the service manager at my toyota is a good guy--he has always responded to my complaints. But I wish I didn't have to deal with his staff!

Thanks all, will report further if anything good/bad happens!

7. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The story continues!

I have been waiting for my service manager to call to tell me to bring the car in for the ABS ECU replacement; I will call again tomorrow, as I had a brake failure AGAIN tonight. Exact same signs--audible alarm, problem light, ABD and brake lights, and PS icon (as well as <!>) on the monitor. Had only manual braking which felt like front brakes only. Luckily, once again this happened less than a mile from home. However, this time shutting down and restarting did not immediately fix the problem. I limped home, shut down, and after several restarts it stopped, and after a rest, the problem light went out too (after another restart). I pulled the codes using the diagnostioc screen, which were:
    01-D5 190-3D-F
    01-DC 190-AC-A
    01-DC 1C6-AE-6

Whatever that means. I'm actually glad it happened, now I just have top worry about getting it to my dealer and getting a loaner as I need my car.

Anyone know what those codes mean?

Thanks,
    John

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi John,

Any codes that you can retrieve from the MFD relate to the stereo or nav system and have nothing to do with the powertrain or the brake system problem that you currently face.

Considering that the brake problem is a safety issue, may I suggest that you leave your car at the dealer and rent a replacement until your car has been fixed.

Good luck.

9. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PLEASE go to the NHTSA website and register these braking system failures:

IVOQ - File a Complaint

If someone hasn't been seriously injured or killed already by this, it's just a matter of time. This is what the NHTSA and manufacturer recalls are for.

10. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks for the link--will definitely file a complaint!

-John

11. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

12. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well, the dealer replaced the brake actuator control, and the skid control ECU. So far, I have not had any further problem, but who knows? It took almost 3 years for it to happen the first time! I am keeping my fingers crossed. I also did file a report with the NHTSA. The repairs were fully covered under the warrantee (looking at the dealer's paperwork it appears it would have cost ~$1900 or so).