1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BRAKE FAILURES ON 04+ PRIUS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Nov 10, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    typical.

reset the light, check a few things over, drive for a few minutes, if nothing happens and light doesn't come back you get the car back.

signs of a tech that isn't thorough. they generally hate warranty work because it pays for **** and some try to get it off their hands asap. unfortunately so many techs nowadays are motivated only by money. :angry:

hopefully the problem won't crop back up. i'd work on finding a different service department. meanwhile i'll ask my husband if he knows anything about this and maybe rick or kyle will pop in and offer their expertise.

2. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

Thank you. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. :)

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I would have called for tech assistance in a case like that if I couldn't find the cause. A engine light or something like that and could not duplicate,maybe clear the light but not a safety system like the brakes, :angry: . I would exhaust all resources before giving it back to the customer. The customer is how makes our pay and I would want them to be happy and come back, :) .

Just checked and there are no brake TSB's either. Interesting, :unsure: .

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You folks are wacko. What a bunch of conspiracy theorists. Can't there be a problem w/ a Prius w/out it being some sort of GM-GOP-Edmunds conspiracy? Looks like jandmayra is having a real problem and is not getting the proper response from the dealer. I suppose that is somehow GM's fault too?

5. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

Thank you for checking. I did not think that there would be, but it is always nice to know for sure. :)

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"At this point, I do not even have any paperwork since they returned it to me after the warranty service writer left for the weekend."

How convenient-- they made sure there was no evidence with which your survivors can sue them.

I would go back, insist on paperwork stating what code was found. If they refuse, send them a certified letter, CC your local free law clinic and Toyota corporate. I bet you hear back pronto.

A**holes.

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, the poster JUST signed up that day and ran right over to the Prius software problem board and wrote something so whacky that everyone jumped in an condemned the Prius as an unsafe computer on wheels. I am open minded about the technology, otherwise I would not have bought one. If you think everything is rosey on the net and people post accurate information, you are sadly mistaken.

I read the government website as well concerning a Prius owner who bumped his knee and the shifter went into B. He slowed down dramatically and almost got rear ended from an 18 wheeler. Well.. I wanted to see what would happen at 75 mph downhill and I hit B. Guess what. I felt compression braking but nothing near what was described.

I have to thank MOST of the participants here for what I have learned about this car. On Edmunds you just go around in circles dealing with aholes all day.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you get the actual codes? A number of people on the board have service manual and can look up the actual fault description. You might get a few more answers.

9. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

I am going to sit back and wait until Wednesday before I start making calls. In all fairness, I need to give the dealership a couple of days to send me the paperwork. If they don't, then they will hear from me.

As for the evidence part, a co-worker took me to the dealership to pick up the vehcile, so she can verify that it was in the shop. There was also the call to Toyota's Roadside Assistance folks, and the flatbed driver. There are enought people who can attest to this incident.

10. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

I am hoping that the code will be written up in the paperwork. If not, I will call them and ask for it. I guess that I need to get the service manual myself. :unsure:

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, after asking my husband for his opinion, seems it can be a dozen things or more- not just the three that lazy tech looked at. so:

1. find a different dealership ASAP
    2. get the paperwork from the last dealer- any service writer should be able to do this for you, not just the 'warranty guy'
    3. find someone who you know is thorough and request him for all your service from that point on. ask to talk to the tech who's working on your car and explain to him what happened. hopefully a little personal interaction will go a long way.

good luck.

12. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

What else should I ask them to check? Thank you and your husband for your efforts.

I will post updates on this situation as I get them. :)

13. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    way back in May i posted something similar:

vsc, brake warnings came on

i was slowing down to a red light, i heard a beep (i thought it was the gas gauge), but then i felt regen braking "disengage" and had to press harder to engage the mechanical brakes. the red vsc, abs, and brake warning lights were on. i just kept on driving home, compensating for braking. when i got home i powered down then restarted after a few minutes. the warning lights were off and everything was back to normal.

a few who read my post suggested i bring it in immediately. (sorry for not posting an update) i probably should have but wasn't able to, and the incident never happened again. a couple of months later i brought it in for scheduled maintenance and told them about what had happened. they later informed me that they found nothing wrong with the brakes, vsc, nor abs. there was some sort of code found so they cleared it then flashed the computer. no problems either since then...

14. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The original post seemed to implicate Edmunds - I thought maybe an editorial opinion or review - not a chat room participant. There is a obviously a big difference - which maybe I read the post too quickly but there was no link to check it out. Regardless, posts that blame GM, or state "I smell a rat" are as irresponsible as the post you originally complained about. jandmayra's post seemed to point out an issue (is he/she a "rat" too), so I hope it gets it solved and that the resolution will be posted so we can all learn from it. If there is no problem perhaps that info will be shared too. As you say, info on the net is not always accurate, so I'm not clear why the post originated if you doubted the veracity of the Edmunds post.

I don't mean to be combative. I have just read a lot of "bashing" on this forum of GM, the GOP, SUV's etc. I guess people are free to express their opinions but it gets a bit tiresome since I thought this was supposed to be a forum about the Prius, though admittedly I have just gotten distracted from that. Anyway, peace. B)

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, allow me to comment on this since i was the one who said i smelled a rat.

first. software related brake failure made me think, you step on the brake pedal and nothing happens, there is no power to the system. i know a thing or 2 about these cars, my husband is a mechanic, and he's training to be a prius tech himself. he's got the books with him at all times and it's all i hear about some days. there is a backup power supply for just that kind of case where the power fails, software fails, whatever so that the brakes are kept powered.

NOW. did you notice i was among the FIRST to step in and try to help jandmayra come up with a resolution to his/her problems and even offer suggestions as to how th get the service department to cough up an answer? yes, i treated him/her like a rat didn't i? :rolleyes:

i spend my time here enjoying the conversation and trying to help explain what people are seeing with their cars with technical interpretation from my husband. sure, there are other intelligent, friendly and experienced prius techs on this board and for them we're very glad. but isn't just one more source of input a good thing?

sorry i have an opinion to express. i'm by no means some conspiracy theorist, i hear about broken prii in the shop, again, all day long. i think i've said enough.

16. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

Yes, this sounds about right. All except for the shutter, and the shutdown/reboot resolution.

Sounds about right again. Let's hope that it doesn't recurr with either of us. I will know more when I receive my paperwork.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry to have opened a can of worms galaxee. I know we are all here for the same purpose - to enjoy chatting about the Prius. I had just read a few other topics on the forum with other - excuse the term - "wacky" - comments. Then came across more here and like you, just expressed an opinion. Didn't mean to piss anyone off but I suppose I could have worded things differently. And I didn't keep track of who said what or who was helping who. In any case, I've said enough too. Peace to all! :)

18. hilore

hilore New Member

LOL!

I have a bumper stick at work on my door.

"USER ERROR. PRESS CONTROL ALT DELETE TO REBOOT USER."

--Hilore

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh tim, don't worry about it. i was feeling pretty feisty that day :lol: we're all good.

20. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :)