1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid change question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Noahdoge, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I have never had my brake fluid replaced and I’m at 145k miles now. I’ve always gone based on the color but now I know that is not accurate at all.
    My main question is what should I ask for at the dealership? Like a full brake fluid flush or just a drain and fill. I don’t want them to do the most expensive thing but I also don’t want them to think I just want my master cylinder fluid replaced either.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Brake fluid flush. That does the most good especially on your highly complex master cylinder which allows regen in a hybrid. Should not be much more than $125.

Noahdoge likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Attached is an excerpt from the Toyota Canada 2014 Prius "Owner's Manual Supplement", which summarizes the maintenance schedule up here. The call it (sensibly) "Brake Fluid Replacement".

Noteworthy: while Toyota USA says nothing about brake fluid replacement, Toyota Canada recommends to replace it tri-yearly or 48K kms (30K miles), whichever comes first (see attachment).

I'll also attach Techstream and non-Techstream Repair Manual instructions, in case you're interested in the technical side.

I've DIY'd the non-Techstream method twice. For a dealership with all the right tools, this should not take more than an hour. I used 2 pints of Toyota DOT3 fluid, which runs around $7~8 CDN apiece up through parts dept.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    kamrul and Noahdoge like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a good video

5. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your take on using DOT 4 or 5.1 instead especially for places with a hot and humid climate since both have a higher dry and wet boiling points than DOT 3?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No clue. Just to avoid possible issues I’d stick with DOT3.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    DOT 4 and 5.1 have a higher boiling point than 3. All are compatible with each other. 5.0 is silicone based, and is NOT compatible. I would use what Toyota recommends. The Prius does not put a lot of stress on the brakes.

8. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the Prius might be designed well enough not to put a lot of stress on the brakes but for countries with really slow and heavy traffic, you need to press on the brake pedals quite literally A LOT. I am hearing a significant number of ABS issues, Brake Pump and Booster failures etc. where I live.

9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Deleted

#9 MikeDee, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  10. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brake fluid absorb moisture. It’s really worth replacing at least few times during car lifecycle regardless of how the brakes are used

kamrul likes this.