1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid changing color

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by EZW1, Jan 19, 2022.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Had my V in for a 5000 mile oil change and one of the things the dealer recommended is a brake fluid flush because the current fluid is showing a light brown color. I cannot figure out how that could happen since I've never opened the reservor and any mechanical 'debris' from the brake cylenders would have to travel all the way back up to the reservor. Or is the fluid just naturally changing color with age? Any thoughts? Dealer quoted $159

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have an owners manual ?
    It should have a maintenance schedule.

If it is the original fluid, you are WAY past the recommended change interval ........which likely is 4 years at most.
    Not unusual for the color to change over time.
    Engine oil too. And transmission too.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is no recommended change interval. do YOU have an owners manual? :p

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    160 bucks isn't bad for a dealer. how many miles on her? i would probably do it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not bad, a little high. Make sure going in that's the firm price: "our" dealership will quote a price, and then tack on "shop supply charge" and cost for for fluid. I mean c'mon.

Anyway, brake fluid ages. Toyota Canada used to say zip about brake fluid, that was the case with our 2010. But a few years later flip-flopped; this is an excerpt from 2014 Prius Owner's Manual Supplement (roughly comparable to Toyota USA's Maintenance and Warranty Booklet):

upload_2022-1-20_5-58-53.png
    BTW, see the Brake Service interval, just above? In the States there's a similar interaval, albeit tri-yearly or 30K miles. This is a full inspection, not the look-over during wheel rotation.

6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Will change color with age.
    Also the color change can occur from the determination of the rubber components in the system.
    Water can also be absorbed through the rubber components, such as the caliper piston seals, even as you say you never opened the system.
    Light brown, I wouldn't worry.

FWIW, above I see Toyota recommended a 3 year change interval, that is prudent.
    One standard is every two years.

So based on your years, you can make an informed decision as to when to flush.
    Dealership rate? I guess 1.5 hours. Remove 4 rims, flush and bleed, plus a quart of fluid and those shop supply fees.

Good luck.

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Alright. Thanks 4 feedback. I'll schedule to get it done. And, yes, this price is a complete flush from reservor through all 4 wheels.

8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Every 5 years 60k miles is enough if you live in mountains, 10 years/100k miles in flat dry area.
    This guy measure the water and additive contents after 200k miles, practically still good brake fluid even with brownish normal color.

100K maint - 1

One thing about Toyota brake system, it has real good seals unlike GM or German cars. Brake fluid change is never explicitly recommended in USA until we do some repair in caliper or brake lines.
    Toyota brake has more problems on stuck sliding pins, jammed hardware/pads instead of brake fluid related problems.

tangerino likes this.