1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid Check: $5

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, May 7, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This thread also posted in the G2 Prius Main forum. If a single thread can cross sub-forums, I thank the moderator for doing so.

I plan to buy this product from Phoenix systems.

Lots of information about the stick available on the web and the manufacturer website. I have not read any of it, but Hobbit did. That is good enough for me. The sticks are sold in packets of 100 for about $72 plus S+H.

It is a dipstick that measures copper contamination of the fluid, to know whether to flush the brakes. I'll have around 95 sticks left over when I am done

I thought it would be a nice gesture if I resold the unused sticks to the PC community at $5/stick, and passed the revenue minus postage on to Danny and PC. PC gets a contribution of about $450, and members have a way to buy a stick or three rather than a hundred. I gather the sticks have a 3 year shelf life.

Details forthcoming, but my intent is as follows:
    -Set up a DB on google, so that a purchaser can type in their name and address. This info will be confidential, and erased when the stick is shipped.

- Member pays $5 a stick through payPal. KISS, folks.

---
    Sound good ?
    Let me know if I have missed anything important. And yes, you will have to trust me to not resell your real name, send snipers to your house, or pocket the revenue.

Addendum:I went googling a bit, and found a 2 strip package sold for about $10 + S/H from the OEM. Missed it the first time around. Sorry everybody -- I'll just buy two strips.

2. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's nice of you to offer to take this task on even though it turned out to be unnecessary!

About what mileage would a check be needed?

3. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where would the copper come from?

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota does not have a specific recc iIRC;
    Dealerships will tell you an expensive flush (not just check) is needed every 30k miles
    Hobbit (who I trust A LOT; definitely read his link) tested for the first time at 100k miles. I'd say test every 50k miles, starting from 50k if you use friction brakes more than average.

Just my guess, take it with a grain of salt.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not to intentionally poop on your thread, but while measuring copper content is a worthwhile task, isn't measuring water content just as/if not more important?