1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid Consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kronos89, Oct 24, 2013.

1. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This morning, when checking the oil in my car, i noticed the brake fluid was about half way full.
    Before doing the 5k mile service, i had noticed it wasn't full. I told the dealer to make sure they top it off, and they did. Now at 12k the reservoir is half way again. I am not an expert on cars, but rarely brake fluid should go down. I wonder if this has to do with other issues people here in the forum are having with chatter when going thru small bumps in the road. I also have that issue, but never really paid interest until now.

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the brake pads wear down.

toyotechwv likes this.
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unusual, no doubt.
    I don't think the brake fluid level has changed in 10 years in our '04 Prius.

I suggest first convincing yourself that the reservoir cap is on snug; and if that is not it then time for you or a mechanic to find the leak.

kronos89 likes this.
  4. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the pads wear the fluid goes down to fill the calipers. Fluid going down a little is normal... going down a lot is not. If you think its abnormal drop first check all your calipers for obvious leaks. Take off the front wheels and do a visual inspection. No leaks should be visible. I think what you are experiencing is normal pad wear and the regular fluid drop. Do a visual inspection to be sure. Prius have great pad wear because of the regen braking. On my 2nd gen I have almost 126,000 mile on my original pads. they still have about 1/2 their life left!
    -Paul R. Haller-

5. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I already called the dealer and will be taking it there tuesday. The car is still under warranty, now i wonder if i should purchase an extended warranty :(

6. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Mine have only 12k on it!! i was expecting 120k out of the break pads lol.. not 12k

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The dropping of the brake fluid doesn't have anything to do with the brake chatter over bumps. That's just too much play with the pads bouncing up and down. Was the fluid down to the seam near the bottom of the reservoir?

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I already called the dealer and will be taking it there tuesday. The car is still under warranty, now i wonder if i should purchase an extended warranty

Good, go to dealer, prii don't really use brake pads, and dropping fluid is a leak, usually involving air in the system and a spongy brake pedal.
    There's no question when it involves brakes, go to a competent mechanic, and hopefully the dealer is.

Read the extended warranty, save your money, this would be the first leaking brake syndrome yet, very unusual.

9. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The fluid when I bought the car was halfway full.. then at the 5k service they topped it off.. and now after 7k the reservoir is a lil more than half.. but def below max, which was where they left it

SGH-T889 ?

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, since the car is still covered, bringing it back is the best bet.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Now I'm beginning to wonder how much the level changed -- say, in mm ?

12. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I am not sure in mm but I would say 3 fingers have gone down in about 7000 miles... the funny thing is that I always brake with enough time and I dont slam on the brakes... I do live on a hill, but I try to use regen braking as much as possible.

SGH-T889 ?

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    3 fingers drop is a lot. A leak seems quite likely.

Good Luck !

14. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In a "conventional" system with a vacuum brake booster, brake fluid loss without evidence of an external leak usually means that the fluid is entering the booster. For a Prius, with its nitrogen-charged bellows accumulator, could the OP's observation mean that fluid is entering the bellows?

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake fluid shouldn't be "consumed". The system should be tight, if the level is dropping excessively, it's leaking, somewhere.

Note the emphasis on "excessively": as brake pads wear, the break fluid level in the reservoir will go down. In my experience with past cars, when the level reached the lower mark the pads were reaching their minimum thickness.

If that's the situation it's simpler to not add fluid: you'll only need to baste it it out of the reservoir when you push back the pistons to accept new pads, or it will overflow.

But in your situation: if there's little pad wear while the level is dropping quickly, something's amiss.

xpcman likes this.
  16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar situation with my car. I am 99% sure the brake fluid level was at the full mark on mine since new. One day I noticed it was about 3 fingers low as the OP reports. I took it to the dealer and they topped it off to the middle mark and looked for evidence of a leak but could not find one and asked me to continue watching for signs of a leak. I watched for a while and have never found any signs.

I checked my brake pads and there are no signs of brake pad wear. IIRC the new pads are 11 mm and mine were at 9 mm after 30k miles.

The low mark on the brake fluid reservoir is actually well below the middle level mark. I took a sharpie and marked all of the level marks on all of my reservoirs for easy reference.

I have not had any further issues with my brake fluid level since.

kronos89 likes this.
  17. kronos89

kronos89 CHRRYPRL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I took the car to the dealer yesterday, and they spent the whole day in the shop. They first thought there was an internal leak in the system or perhaps in the accumulator , so they checked further but could not find any problem. The rep did tell me this is a different type of brake system and the fluid could fluctuate. He mentioned all of this has been recorded in case of further problems, so they topped it off and out the lot i went. I will keep checking the level every few days.

SageBrush likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the ground where you frequently park the car. If there's nothing there, and nothing showing on the engine compartment plastic underpanels, it could be there's nothing wrong. The level could be going up/down due to mysterious ways of the computer control and the various components. I'm not saying you're dreaming, just that there could be an explanation that doesn't involve a problem with the system. Do keep an eye on it.

19. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since the normal compression of the accumulator bellows could change the reservoir level, I suggest that you always check the fluid when in READY mode -- when the accumulator is charged.

20. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the accumulator was leaking internally I would imagine the system would be doing some really weird stuff. Also, It could only leak so much as it would eventually be filled.

Avi