1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake fluid removal & fill directly from reservoir

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by minh123, Dec 28, 2012.

1. minh123

minh123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi my brake fluid looks dark blue/greenish colour. I want to avoid going to the dealer and doing a brake fluid drain/fill.
    I'm thinking of removing the old brake fluid from the reservoir (eg: using a syringe and sucking it up one by one), then pouring some new yellow dot 3 fluid back into reservoir. All this will be done from the hood via the reservoir.
    My question is:
    1. Are there any benefits in doing this?
    2. Would this set off error codes or cause any other problems?

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think that will help any. For safety you might need to have the fluid flushed from the lines to each wheel. When this fluid is bad it can cause minor/major braking problems. I don't think it will set off any error code. But will not do any thing except make the fluid look better in the reservoir.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the OP's suggested procedure is primarily cosmetic. That does nothing for the fluid down in the lines near the wheel cylinders which age due to repeated heat/cool cycles and the passage of time. If the fluid looks bad in the reservoir, it will look much worse at the wheel cylinders.

The suggested procedure will not cause any faults if the OP can refrain from fully emptying the container, thus allowing air to enter the system.

Bottom line: if the OP is concerned about this issue, he should pay for the brake fluid to be replaced.

4. minh123

minh123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply guys...i'll reconsider it.
    The only reason I want to avoid going to the dealer is that I recently (approx 6 months) had my brake fluid flushed and filled at the dealer - the fluid was initially yellow straight out from service, then after 1 - 2 months became this blue/green colour again.
    Any ideas what I should do again to get that nice yellow colour?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about taking a clear, sharp photo and posting, so we can see what you are talking about.
    How many miles have you driven over the 1-2 months since the brake fluid change?

6. minh123

minh123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_0301.JPG
    It's a 2006 prius. The brake fluid when I bought the car 2nd hand at 120 000km was this colour & I was concerned it needed a change... I then brought it to the dealer for a brake fluid change at around 125 000 km, done another 10 000 km since then so its sitting at around 135 000 km. Since the change gradually the fluid returned to the same blue/green colour as above pic.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Strange. I would expect the brake fluid color to remain amber, for a very long time. The original fluid in my 2004 with 139K miles looks better than your photo.

Perhaps you might ask your dealer's service writer why the brake fluid color has changed so quickly and what if anything s/he would recommend.

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    they must not have flushed it correctly. a lazy tech will do what op suggested rather than actually doing a complete flush. i don't know how difficult it is to flush the prius, but it might not be as simple as most cars since it has braking by wire instead of a traditional master cylinder.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Green brake fluid is either caused by copper corrosion or contamination from some kind of assembly grease.

Brakes 101 - Class is in! : Brakes

I would request for the dealer to perform another flush and refill.

cwerdna likes this.