1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid Test Strips

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just ordered some Brake Fluid Test Strips. For those that have used these, what is your experience with the results of these test strips?

I just read where Toyota is now recommending the brake fluid be replaced every 3 years. Honda has recommended this for some time now. I changed my wife's Honda Accord after 3 years and now it is overdue for another change.

I have read many opinions both pro and con of brake fluid replacement. I wanted to see if the results of the test strips supported the recommendations of 3 year replacement.

I have not replaced brake fluid in my previous vehicles and never had an issue that I am aware of so this is new to me.

Thoughts?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The test strips will indicate humidity content (if I'm not wrong ) in the brake fluid (DOT3), as a test I think it's OK,

jdcollins5 likes this.
  3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thoughts..
    It's a closed system, keeps moisture out.
    A lot of Prius braking is from regen, so that keeps temps down inside the caliper cylinder.

It makes me think that the Prius (and other cars with regen braking) is very easy on brake fluid.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prius is very easy on brake fluid. HOWEVER, depends on what part of the country you live in and your driving conditions. My fluid tests perfect after 4.5 years, 80k miles. However, I will look at changing/flushing it in this next year.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mt thoughts: (FWIW)

I'm pretty OCD about maintenance, but there are some situations where it's better to leave the wrenches in the toolbox.
    I'd test the brake fluid just for grins, but I would hesitate to replace the fluid unless it's absolutely necessary because if you do, you have to decide on the lesser of 2 evils:
    1. DIY and possibly causing more problems than you eliminate.
    2. Pay to have somebody tinker with the brakes and picking the ONE mechanic who is two payments behind on a boat---or knows less about the brakes than you do and gets to learn on your dime.
    You would be amazed how many fairly healthy cars arrive at a dealership for a checkup and are suddenly downchecked for $1,000 worth of critical repairs. ;)

I've put lunar mileage on vehicles with nothing more than pad replacements. My current oldest vehicle is an 06 Envoy with 150K. Original pads, rotors, fluid. The reservoir has never been opened. I'm probably due for pads in about 30K and I might consider replacing the fluid as well, but then again I might not.
    The groovy thing about modern disc brakes is that you don't have to tinker with them much.
    If having to "prematurely" replace a component at 170,000 miles is the price that I pay for "neglecting" to replace the fluid every three years, then I'll bear that cost gladly.
    OTOH.....I also have an 06 VRSCD with Brembos that have to be flushed every three years because the brake fluid (DOT-4) in THAT vehicle looks like 2-day old rewarmed truck stop coffee after 2 riding seasons....but it also has a hydraulic clutch and lacks ABS and regenerative brakes....so it's VERY easy to do.

North Carolina is more topographically 'diverse' than the Riviera, so you might be harder on your brakes....especially if you deliver the morning paper. If you're one of those poor lost souls that have to commute crazy distances in stop and go traffic and chews through brakes every 60K, or if you're just a lousy driver (or both!) "my" brake maintenance practices might not fit YOUR situation.

Your car.
    Your call.
    I just need a better reason than "they said it needed to be done."
    YMMV!

jdcollins5 likes this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ETC(SS), I am like you about being OCD about maintenance and one that changes oil at 5k intervals even though I know the oil can go 10 to 15K. I just like getting under the car for inspection more often. If I am going to put the car on ramps and pull off the engine covers I may as well change the oil and filter in 15 minutes.

As for brake fluid replacement, especially the Prius brakes, I would have to defer to the dealership since I do not have the Techstream software. I just do not trust the technicians at my dealership due to other issues with their misunderstanding of a whole lot of simpler issues.

In this case, like you, just because Honda first and Toyota now recommends it does not convince me that it is necessary.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've used the brake test strips for years. I've consistently tested my 1998 Mazda MPV, and the fluid has been good. NEVER changed the fluid, and it's still good.

The test strips are WORTH the investment.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I got our 2010 in for the brake booster pump recall, I asked if they could/would replace brake fluid in the process, and stressed that in any event I'd like to get a brake fluid replacement. It was coming up on 3 year anniversary anyway.

They said they would, that they'd try to get it under the recall umbrella, ie: free. Looking at the invoice for that recall there's: "REPLACED BRAKE FLUID" and QTY 4 DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID". I assume the "QTY" to be pints or 500 cc bottles.

Bottom line, it seems a fairly routine event for the dealerships, even with the added complexity in Prius. And it's one of those services I'd rather have them do. If it's somewhere around $100, or a bit more, and they take the responsibility, this is one I'd gladly leave to the pros.

9. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been changing brake fluid in my vehicles about every 3 years for over 30 years. You can tell visually when to change fluid by its color in the master brake reservoir. Brake fluid is clear, not a dark color. The more moisture in the fluid the darker the color. You can get lulled by the fact that you may not perceive a significant change in braking performance but there are changes. Stopping distances will be extended because the heat of the fluid will be higher with absorbed moisture. Hope this helps

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also asked to have my fluid replaced during the Brake Booster Pump recall but the Service Advisor assured me that they would have to replace the fluid while replacing the booster pump. When I read the service report they only listed like 4 ounces of fluid. When I showed this to the SA he just shrugged and said they must have been able to replace the booster pump and only had to top off the fluid ! :(

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They told me they might, or might not, do complete fluid replacement. I told them if it came to the latter, to do a brake fluid replacement. I think they quoted around $100. Didn't come to that anyway.

This just seems like something they're set up to do, doesn't cost too much, and could be problematic for DIY.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use test strips to measure the concentration and PH of coolant, but have not used them for brake fluid. In the past I have just flushed the brake fluid every two years or 30,000 miles as preventive maintenance. I think it would be interesting to actually measure the moisture content of brake fluid.

What do the test strips you ordered measure?

Do the test strips provide a scale on which to determine when the brake fluid should be flushed?

What is the brand name and part number of the brake fluid test strips you ordered?

14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As to jdcollins5's original question, most retail strips are all about the same. Just be advised every-time you open the system to test, you further expose the fluid to moisture and the risk of other contaminants.

The topic of when to flush the brakes is historically argued about as much as motor oil. The Prius uses DOT 3 Brake fluid with a serviceable life determined by usage, time and system integrity. 2-3 years is considered the average duty cycle for preventative maintenance...look it up.

YMMV and as ETC(SS) so wisely states, you car...your call.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They are the Phoenix test strips like Rude person's displays above. According to the directions they measure the copper content and have a scale from white to purple showing different levels of copper content. There is a color scale that you compare the test strip. At a certain color and copper content they advise changing the fluid.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I tried my first test strip this afternoon. The strip did not discolor the least bit. It looked just as white after the test as it did before the test. No change.

The color chart shows the Copper Corrosion levels in PPM from 0-10-30-100-200-300. So my test shows 0 PPM and the Action is to test at regular intervals.

My car is approaching 5 years in August and has 78,000 miles now. My brake fluid looks the same color as new fluid in a bottle.

According to this test there is no recommendation to replace the fluid.

I want to test my wife's 2007 Honda Accord next. I had the fluid replaced in 2010 per Honda's recommendation.

Edit: The color chart recommends fluid replacement at 200 PPM.

Mike500 likes this.
  18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tested my wife's 2007 Honda Accord today. The brake fluid was changed in 2010 per Honda recommendations.

This fluid tested at 0 PPM also. The color of the fluid was much darker than the Prius. I attribute it to the Accord using friction brakes full time where the Prius only uses them part time.

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm curious, why copper instead of moisture? Where would copper come from?

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will need for someone that understands brake fluid performance better than me to answer your question correctly. The literature that comes with the strips says that Copper Corrosion is the best indicator of brake fluid condition. My guess is that maybe moisture intrusion is one factor that results in copper corrosion.