1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid / warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rifis, Dec 15, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall reading about fluid drop with booster failure, and there is usually some physical defect or noise associated.
    but it might be worth a call to a service advisor

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah a bit of a mystery where that fluid is going.

3. rifis

rifis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Today, I first called Toyota Customer Experience Center. Rep was courteous, but couldn't/wouldn't tell me if booster failure could lead to fluid loss. Next called dealership service dept. Service advisor told me "bad or funny braking" might result, but not fluid loss. Interestingly, she advised: "If it was me, I'd just watch it", as warning indicators disappeared with fluid replenishment. I then drove it to my local service shop. Owner offered to look at it tomorrow with me, w/o wait - he was down a few men today (and today is a Monday). I said fine; I'll report back tomorrow. Fluid level seems stable short term.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not bad advice, especially if warning lights have dispersed. Definitely check level often.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you won't regret a thorough inspection of the repaired brake area with the owner. peace of mind if nothing else.

6. rifis

rifis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As owner and I walked over to the car, which had just gone up on the lift, I began to tell him that the fluid level had dropped this morning when I checked it (prior to driver side door opening). Before I finished, we arrived at the rear wheel whose caliper had been replaced. I don't know who was more surprised. He announced "you got a leak!" (We had both agreed yesterday that there must be a leak).

Lots of fluid visible. Quite striking. The entire visible caliper and inward-facing portion of wheel covered w/fluid; much of inward-facing portion (would a technican use the phrase "medial aspect"?) of the tire also fluid coated. I say surprised because the fluid level had dropped only 1/8 to 1/4 inch this am from yesterday am (evaluated under same conditions).

He instantly told me everything was covered under the 1 year warranty he issued 10.5 months ago. When I picked car up tonight, he said culprit was "a defective seal in back of caliper".

Mendel: I did spin said wheel when it first went up on the lift - it did at least one and a half full revolutions. The owner was amused that I appeared to not have full faith in the original installation, so I stopped watching closely once it was clear that it could spin freely. But I didn't think to try to be present to recheck right after after new caliper was installed today.

Raytheeagle, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the reason I say about the rear wheel drag, it is sand-pounding easy to put it back together wrong. OTOH, this is my first experience with rear disk brakes, so maybe naive on my part.

There's a couple of ways you can DIY check for rear wheel drag: first, just feel the wheels after an extended drive. If the rears are noticeably warm, and warmer than the fronts, doesn't bode good. More definitively: chock the front wheels securely, release the parking brake, raise the rear with a floor jack at the rear/centre jacking point, and give them a spin.

What lead to replacing rear caliper btw? Was it something like a seized caliper pin? The brakes should be inspected tri-yearly or 30K miles (according to US schedule), and that should include relubing the pins.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad they found the culprit!
    i'm amazed that there is no staining on your garage floor.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what brand caliper they installed