1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake grease

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lenjack, Mar 4, 2018.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I note that most videos on changing front brake pads on this model (2010) don't mention putting brake grease on the backs of the new pads. Should grease be used here?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's an excerpt from the Repair Manual, for install of front brake pads, applicable to rears as well:

upload_2018-3-4_13-57-4.png
    (I've attached the the full brake section excerpt, in pdf format)

For "disc brake grease" I've used Permatex Anti-Seize, for decades:

upload_2018-3-4_13-59-59.png

My method for applying is to lightly coat the inside face of each shim before installing. I also put a light coat on the caliper "fingers", and very sparingly on the rim of the piston:

upload_2018-3-4_14-6-13.png

For the rubber boots, bleed screw caps and caliper pins, I use Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant:

upload_2018-3-4_14-2-32.png

Any time I have the pads off, I clean everything and re-apply the lubricant. This should be 30K miles or tri-yearly, according to Toyota USA (ditto for Canada). Toyota Canada (Toyota USA still silent on the subject??) also recommends brake fluid change, tri-yearly or 48K kms (30K miles). @NutzAboutBolts has an excellent video on the brake fluid change, pinned in the maintenance sub-forum. I'll attach the Repair Manual excerpt on that as well.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Always. Rain and extreme cold will shorten grease life. Brake pad seize can cause uneven brake pad wear, warp rotor, screeching, sqeaking, and the worse one is when you brake hard and your car pulls to the direction of where the caliper is seize causing you to drift to other lane. From experience :LOL:

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Follow up. Got myself a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet QC1184A Ceramic pads. Included paperwork states...

"Wagner ThermoQuiet with its patented IMI Sound Insulator design, requires that NO chemical compounds (EMP, Silicone Lubricants, Moly Lube, etc.) be placed on the insulator area of the disc brake pads. ThermoQuiet, with the IMI insulator is designated to be installed right out of the box and onto the vehicle. Use of chemicals on the insulator may reduce the insulators effectiveness."

Further down, on the paperwork, it states that "when installing disc pads that do not have shims (as per OE) the technician should utilize EMP compound...". My setup is OE.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this seems conflicting, and its my first brake attempt. I really appreciate the help.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump...sorry

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, you wanted feedback, say whether or not to use lube on the above? I guess go with their recommendation, no lube on pad contact points. But still clean/relube caliper pins, for sure.

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reason for my concern is that this is so against your recommendation and the repair manual. Thanks

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think lube on the back of pads is that critical. The first time I took ours apart for a look, there was just a slight dab of something, that looked kind of like Sil-Glyde, just in the middle between shims. Caliper lube is maybe more critical?

My heritage is Honda, and everytime I'd get the car back after a dealership brake job, there'd be a little squeeze-out of anti-seize, all the way around the perimeter of the pads. It was reassuring. :)

But yeah, my head space is always, to first clean everything (pads, shims, caliper contact points), then put a pad face down on a clean newspaper, thinly butter the inner face of inner shim, and install, thinly butter innner face of outer shim, and install. Then thinly butter the caliper "fingers" (that grip the pad back, opposite side to the piston), and a very sparing amount on the rim of the caliper piston, taking care not to spread it onto the piston boot.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018