1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake groan

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by savery, Apr 20, 2013.

1. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The sound only lasts for a few seconds & yes, moisture on windshield (morning dew) as the car sits outside.

iPhone ?

2. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    that's what i'm wondering, if the moisture/sitting out has anything to do with it.

3. 2013-Prius v

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It seems temperature related for most people

iPhone ?

4. 2013-Prius v

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    More video

In reading all the problems Prius v owners have experienced, especially the failure of a fix, I'm hesitant to take the vehicle in until Toyota acknowledges & pushes a fix to its dealers for the problem.

Most of what I have read is dealers haven't fixed & in some cases made matters worse.

iPhone ?

Michael M. Maslowski likes this.
  5. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My 1990 Integra had the "hoot" type brake noise (it was more of a groan initialy) for a few moments. It cleared after the next couple of brake applications. I drove in rain on the way to work.

6. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

i wish you lived closer. i'd jack up the car and spin the rear wheels (driver side?) to see if i could pinpoint the sound.

7. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine sounds exactly the same. However, keeping the foot on the brake pedal as you move off makes it go away and going faster.

8. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try parking your V inside the garage overnight for a few nights and see if it still makes the groan noise. I have 2 Prius's and my V sits in the garage most of the time and my liftback is outside. I rarely hear it in my V unless it went through rain or car wash. With my liftback, I hear it everyday. It is my daily vehicle and I drive over 30K a year. I believe that it's the moisture that gets into the rotors that causes this rough surface such as forming rust. You will see brand new vehicles sitting in the dealers lot with rusted rotors due to moisture, rain and from car wash. I washed my van last Sunday and the following day, I saw rust formation. As I was backing up the driveway with my van the following day, I hear the squeaking and groaning noise.

Now back to my Prius's. Based on my observation between the 2, the vehicle that is not exposed to moisture will always have less groaning noise when the brake is applied. In short, vehicles parked inside the garage will always have less groaning noise during the first couple brake application unless the vehicle went through a carwash or been rained the day before. My V is a weekender. I would not hear the groaning noise most of the time even after sitting in my garage for 4-5 days. But when subjected to rain, carwash or moisture, you will most likely hear it. You may need to park your bimmer outside for a few days. :LOL:

9. KKJJ

KKJJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I heard from a guy at the service dept. of the dealership I bought my car from that Toyota was preparing recall. It has something to do with brake. He said it could take a month or two.

I hope this takes care of everybody's issue.

10. David Warshaw

David Warshaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Don't believe it. Had my 2012 V in for its 25,000 service last week. Service team (Prestige, the largest in New Jersey and one of largest in the country, I believe) still hadn't received any notice of a fix... still seemed to think I was the only one with issue. I made a point to have it recorded -- again -- on my service ticket so that it is registered that I've had the problem. I can only suggest that everyone who has the problem escalate it to Toyota corporate. Squeaky wheels (and brakes) get noticed?

11. Peter Klein

Peter Klein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2012 V3 has 24,000 miles, and I only get the "brake groan" when the car has been parked outside (not in my garage) and it is moist or wet outside. The groaning only lasts for a few feet. The dealer claims this is just a minute amount of rust that has formed. He did not seem overly concerned about it . But my 2002 Honda CRV with 188,000 miles that I traded in, never made such a noise.

12. jhkn

jhkn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Netherlands there is a fix for this problem. The rear disk break mounts are replaced. The part nummers are:
    47822-47090 Mounting RR Disc Br Left
    47821-47090 Mounting RR Disc Br Right

13. Both my previous and current car have brake groan when it's cold and a little wet. I keep my car parked outside, because I have to keep it outside. Brake squealing happened to my old car shortly after brake and rotor replacement. Turned out it was the ceramics on the brakes. Whatever, they worked fine all winter.

14. Seattle

Seattle New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I also gave a very poor rating on a Toyota customer service online questionnaire. Thought that perhaps Toyota would at least contact me with a proposed fix, but I have heard nothing back from them. I also have received the "run-around" from my local dealership and service manager. Perhaps they waiting for us all to initiate a class action lawsuit before taking this annoying problem seriously. Have you received any explanation?

15. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    People have been complaining about brake noises for as long as there have been disc brakes, and its always the same problem. Its the pads. Get some different pads installed and the noise will be gone - or at least different. There are several different type pads available, each of which will have different characteristics - noise or the lack of it being one. Usually there's a trade off with wear and braking feel being impacted. Usually its the harder pads that are most likely to cause noise, but they also last longer.

16. jhkn

jhkn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    In my car the different versions of the pads (brake shims) didn't work. To solve the problem Toyota advised my garage to replace the break mounts with a newer version. After changing the mounts the problem was gone. The part nummers of those mounts are above.

According to a Dutch forum other owners are also reporting that the problem is solved after replacing the break mounts.

17. savery

savery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am happy to report that after I left my Prius v with the dealer, he was able to duplicate my brake groan complaint. Toyota has a TSB out which has fixed my problem. Toyota spent nearly $1000.00 changing both rear calipers (design problem) pads,shims etc and turned the rear rotors. The new calipers have more clearance and have been incorporated in the mid-year production as I am told by my dealer. So far, my brake groan has been completely eliminated. Toyota will doubtfully issue a recall, but they will fix your car at their expense if you complain.

Jenn K and Michael M. Maslowski like this.
  18. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's good news. But...... I don't get it. If the caliper needs more clearance, why does it not make the groan noise when brake is not applied? Did they also change the brake pads too and the type of brake pad material? Anyway, that's good to know Toyota is doing something about it. :)

19. savery

savery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The groaning noise on my car actually occurred just as the car started moving and before the brakes were applied. The noise changed in pitch somewhat with brake application and usually went away after a couple of brake applications.

ImeanGreen likes this.