1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, Handbrake, ABS VSC lights lit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Illarion, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Illarion

Illarion New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all

My partner was forced to do an emergency stop, and now there are four warning lights showing on the dashboard - brake, VSC, ABS and handbrake. She's fairly sure they appeared immediately upon the stop, though not certain.

I have checked with an ODBII reader, and there are no fault codes logged.

I've seen others suggesting the 12v battery may be at fault, but I changed this just a month or two ago (for a suitable AGM replacement), and has been treated well. I'll check the actual voltage when I'm near the car, but I'd be surprised if that's the issue.

No other work has been done on the car since the last service, nearly a year ago now.

First, is there a real problem here? The car appears to drive and brake normally. Surely if there was a problem, there would be fault codes?

Second, how can I clear the lights? MOT is imminent, and these will surely fail it.

Thanks all!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Not all OBD2 scanners are hybrid compatible, which device are you using to retrieve the stored OBD2 codes?

Raytheeagle, jerrymildred and valde3 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe a bearing or wheel sensor

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There seems to be a brake issue with the car, sometimes if the car detects there isn't enough pressure (low brake fluid), it can light up the lights.

Since you have MOT inspection coming up, you might want to try and disconnect the 12v battery negative for a few seconds and reconnect. This reset will usually get rid of minor problems. But if the problem is with the Brake ECU, it will need a proper code reader to reset the codes.

But with all braking problems, it's usually best to have it fully checked out by a professional. Coming online to diagnose brake issues can be dangerous.

SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have warning lights displayed on the dash, that is indicative of a problem.

View or download the NA Prius owner's manual, pages 5/6 will describe each "dashboard light" and any recommended next steps.

Unless the dealer or an independent hybrid shop can offer a "free scan" to retrieve the stored codes, the next best option might be to pick up a mini-vci cable and a copy of techstream (same software used by the dealership). If you're on a budget, you could grab an OBD2 adapter and a phone app. Which OS are you using? (you can research adapters and apps in this sub here)

6. Illarion

Illarion New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure tbh, just a bluetooth ODBII dongle I bought off Amazon. Possibly "Elm", but don't quote me on that! I don't think it says anything on the device itself. I've used it successfully for years though, both on the Prius and my Previa.

Will certainly check the brake fluid, thanks.

Will try the reset also.

You mean my generic ODBII reader won't do it, but a mini VCI+Techstream potentially could?

Understood. I'll have the garage check it out with the MOT. I just don't want to go in to the MOT guaranteed to fail, because of an indicator light!

I have read the manual, all the lights basically say "take it to a Toyota dealer". Which I'm hoping to avoid, both on financial grounds, but more because I don't have much faith in our local dealer at all :/

I already have an ODBII dongle and Torque (Android), which isn't getting any codes at all.

I do actually also have a mini-vci cable and Techstream, which I picked up almost on a whim when I was doing some work on my Previa - but I never really got to grips with it to be honest! I'll have another go this afternoon.

SFO likes this.
  7. Illarion

Illarion New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite what I said about the 12v battery, I've just tested, and it's only showing 12.08V. That seems very low (just over 50% SoC for an AGM battery, I think?). Could that be the problem? The car starts perfectly...

The brake fluid level is fine, sitting a hair under max.

8. Illarion

Illarion New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for multiple posts - I can't see a way to edit my previous post (perhaps because it is awaiting moderation?)

Anyway, I got Techstream up and running, and found the following DTCs:
    C1343 Hydraulic System(RR)
    C1554 Power Supply Relay Failure
    B1421 Solar Sensor Circuit
    B1423 Open in Pressure Sensor Circuit / Abnormal Refrigerant Pressure

I'm pretty sure the last two were just because I had the passenger door open for the laptop's power cable :) But the first two look like they might be real issues?

Can anyone interpret this data?

1.PNG 3.PNG

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. I think you should charge the 12v battery fully first.
    2. Reset the car afterwards by disconnecting the battery to erase all the minor codes.
    3. Drive the car for a few minutes so the computers can re-detect any errors on the car.
    4. Read with techstream again.

The reason you should charge the 12v fully first, the car will give a lot of strange errors if the 12v is low. And while you are doing the diagnostics, you will run down the 12v even more so it'll only give you more issues.

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Perhaps it would be good idea to first just concentrate on C1343 572. As the level of fluid is still fine maybe check the actual brake by taking the rear right (passenger side in LHD) brake drum off? Or pressing the brake pedal hard multiple times and just checking for leaks all along the line.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even if it won't change the minds of any true believers, I would be remiss to stop mentioning that I have never, ever seen any Prius do this. I've seen them start if the battery is strong enough, and not start if the battery is not strong enough. I've seen ECUs log specific error codes that mean the voltage got low (i.e., do exactly what they're programmed to do). I've twice seen the Gen 3 MID simply stay off, and not restart until fully power cycled. But the idea that the ECUs will just make up random stuff because 12.08 V? Totally not a thing, in my experience.

My car was kind of a rolling undervolted-Prius lab for a couple weeks recently, when my ten-year-old battery finally rang down the curtain and joined the choir invisible, and while I had to jump it a bunch of times to start it, it never made up any random stuff.

dolj likes this.