1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake hydrualic boost pump problem fixed, but questions remain.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fester, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Posted this a couple of months or so ago, but I thought I'd post some comments and further questions here in a new thread.

About 3 months ago a sudden increase in the amount of run time my brake hydraulic boost pump/accumulator was noted (2008 model year) along with a knocking or tapping noise that varied in speed (increasing in frequency as the pump finished its run). No dash lights or errors appeared on my Scangauge and my original dealer gave the obligatory "its just normal" response a couple of months ago when doing the steering wheel column and inverter pump change. In the last week I'd noticed a bit of a glitch in the calculated DFE (Daily Fuel Efficiency) on the Scangauge (70 mpg would of course really be nice...) and the main display tank average wasn't changing. A year ago or so I did a fix for this by leaving the aux battery disconnected for a few minutes (computer re-boot), so after doing this "fix" and also resetting the scangauge all was well again...so was the the problem with the hydraulic pump and the the "tapping" noise was gone.

My working theory now is that it was firmware/software related and that quite probably the "tapping" noise may well have been an ABS solenoid actuating (Ghost in the Machine...) and somehow dumping hydraulic pressure and accounting for the increased pump runs. Its great that the "reboot" resolved it , but something corrupted a bit of memory somewhere and will it occur again ? Anybody had a similar problem ?

2004priusgal and Soren Saggio like this.