1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Inspections according to service guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by afterall, Jul 25, 2005.

1. afterall

afterall New Member

Schedule maintenance calls out frequent brake inspections. What does it cost at Toyota? Can you do it yourself? Why the big deal on the Prius? How critical is it? What can happen if you don't?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "inspections" shouldn't cost a lot. it's the "replacement parts" that cost you money. just do it along with scheduled maintenance. if they have to rotate the tires, they can peek at the brakes while the wheels are off.

i imagine that you won't have too much trouble if you don't have them inspected, realistically. but for warranty purposes i'd get them checked out at the required interval.

these brakes really should last a long long time with regen really reducing the use of the actual brake pads.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They wanted to charge me $50 to inspect, clean and adjust the rear brakes. I said no.

Any mechanic can do brake inspections or pad/shoe replacement. It's brakeline bleeding that requires the scanner to properly operate the accumulator pump and the valves.

4. xevious

xevious New Member

Makes you wonder just how many folks are being taken for a ride. My local Toyota dealer refused to perform my 15,000 mile maintenance for anything less than $200, citing some "Corporate Regulation" requiring them to carry out the same multipoint inspection and service on every vehicle they service. Mind you, many of the labor items, such as adjusting the timing belts, are not possible on the Prius.

A somewhat longer drive and 30 minuts later, a different Toyota dealer happily provided my 15,000 mile service for $18.45 (I supplied the oil).

Result? Guess where I'll go for my next vehicle...

5. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I feel like I was taken for a ride for my 5000 and 10000 mile services. They both cost $65. Now, the only thing I have the dealership do anymore is an oil change with the general inspection. I take the car to Big-O and have the tires rotated for free. The whole bit about inspecting the brakes and tightening the chassis bolts seems like BS to me. Obviously I don't want to ignore something as important as the brakes, but they were looked at during the 15,000 mile service; I doubt anything serious is wrong with them...