1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake issue after pad inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maxhighlife, Jun 20, 2017.

1. maxhighlife

maxhighlife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brake issue after pad inspection,
    I pulled my driver side front tire to inspect a noise possible the pads and pressed the caliper back about 1/4" and removed it to inspect the pads now I have a Christmas tree on my dash and my brakes feel funny.
    I never opened the hydraulic system but did have the car on during the process. I have read about the issue with bleeding since I did not bleed them im hoping there is a simple fix :(
    any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to have the dealer bleed the brake by computer 200 to 400 ask if there's any discounts on Mileage I bitched I got 20% off

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You took your life in your hands doing that with the car in READY. Be thankful you got away with it.

You need make sure the car is off then disconnect the 12 V battery. Pump the brake pedal 4 or 5 time until the caliper piston on the wheel you looked at is firmly tight against the brake pads. Reconnect the 12 V battery and then clear the codes with a Prius aware scan tool. With a bit of luck you will remain code free.

You do not need to bleed the brakes if you never opened any bleed valves.

5. maxhighlife

maxhighlife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    no luck on the reset, I called 3 of my local dealers one said that's the first i ever heard of a Prius needing pads we dont know about the techstream reset, the second said that should not of happened we will need to get it in to diagnose the issue causing it "Screw me over"
    and the 3 said they will have a service adviser call me back
    can I use the Mini VCI Diagnostic cable with Techstream V10.30.29 ?

6. maxhighlife

maxhighlife New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried the paperclip trick it did not work so out of curiosity I grabbed a piece of copper wire and wala it worked the first time life is good again thanks for the info

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You dodged a bullet. For starters, there is no need to push the piston back, just to get the caliper off the pistons for a look. What you did alerted the car to excess brake pedal travel. Luckily you've been able to dismiss the code with jumper. Another thing that mighta happened: is the pressurizing pump could have activated, and popped the piston right out.

Next time, disconnect the 12 volt at the outset, and with everything reassembled, before reconnecting the 12 volt: pump the brake pedal multiple times, to eliminate any excess travel.

And for chrisake never do brake inspections with the car on, lol. Did you want to listen to the radio while working?? (n)