1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Bart A Hammontree

Bart A Hammontree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello

My 2005 Prius with 285,000 miles recently started having brake problems. About a month ago I got the brake system warning light, VSC warning light, ABS warning light, and brake buzzer sound. I also heard some noise coming from back brakes so I checked the back brakes and the shoes were very worn. I replaced the back brake shoes, and checked the front pads which were OK. After replacing the back shoes I disconnected the battery to clear the codes, and the the lights went away for a week or 2. Now the lights and buzzer are coming back on periodically, and will go away on their own without me clearing codes or disconnecting the battery. I fired up the laptop this evening and checked the codes on tech stream and got the following codes (C0215, C1242, C1256, C1300, C1313, C1391). The car seems to stop fine, but I do hear periodic cycling of the ABS pump when I am parked.

Prior to the brake issue I have periodically had the red triangle, and traction battery warning light after extended periods of not driving the car. I normally plug in a OBDII scanner and clear the codes, which fixes the issue until the next time I park the car for more than a few days. The 12v battery is an Optima yellow top that is about 2-3 years old that tests out at 12.6v with the car off and 13.8v with the car running. I replaced the traction battery about 3 years ago.

With so many codes I am at a loss on where to go with this. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't done much hybrid brake work... But am looking forward to what more experienced people have to say about this...

3. Bart A Hammontree

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to mention that during the brake shoe install the brake pistons did pop out of the cylinders a few times and I lost a small amount of brake fluid. I didn't feel any spongy pedal so I topped off the brake fluid reservoir and assumed no air in the lines. Could air in the lines be causing the ABS pump to run, and cause the codes I am seeing? May try the brake bleed using techstream tonight and see what happens.

4. Bart A Hammontree

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction to my first post. The dash lights are the (!), ABS, and brake. No VSC warning light.

5. Bart A Hammontree

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow up to my post - I finally determined that I had a failed actuator and got a used actuator and installed it this weekend. Bled the brakes last night using techstream and cleared the codes. The car drives and stops great now and the codes have not come back, but I did get an "air bleed failed" in the last step of the tech stream bleed procedure. I tried it 3 times and got the same error every time. Is this something to be concerned about or should I just drive it and see if I get a return of the earlier error codes? I can definitely tell a big difference in the car brakes with the new actuator and the ticking noise I was hearing before has gone away.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What cable are you using between the car and laptop, Mini VCI?

7. Bart A Hammontree

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I think so.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been reported by several that the MVCI is not the most reliable. Another user tried up to 5 times to get through brake bleeding with an MVCI before success. Some have bought another (or 2 or 3) MVCI to find one that works reliably. Others have bought the VxDiag Nano for Toyota or Tactrix Openport 2, in order of cost. These two options are more reliable (and faster) cables. If you do buy either of these, buy them directly from their respective online stores (linked above for convenience). You might find them cheaper on Amazon or eBay, but those are guaranteed to be knock-offs. Buying a cheap knock-off Tactrix cable hurts American industry, which is bad for America in the long run.

For a few dollars more there is a WiFi version of the VxDiag.

YMMV.

davecook89t likes this.
  9. Bart A Hammontree

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I will see if I can find a better cable, but I've been driving the car for a couple of days now with no issues so I think it fixed.