1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake lamp is out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jetsfan_00, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jetsfan_00

jetsfan_00 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My right rear brake light is out (upper most section) and there is no lamp connector for that section. How do I replace that lamp before the local law stops me to ask if I know that my brake light is out. Very common to stop you for 30 minutes while they check your driving record. I have a Plus 5 which means I have driven at least 5 years with no moving violations. Max is plus 5.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The brake lights are an LED array. You will find a PCB under some foam a the bottom of the assembly. If all the LEDs went out at once, there probably is a failure on this board. Unless you are familiar with electronics, you will probably not be able to fix the light yourself. You will need to purchase a new or used lamp assembly, and replace it. It is easy to replace if you can use basic tools. You can purchase on one line new for about $140. I bought one from Saddle Back Toyota in Phoenix. Camelback Toyota Parts
    I can also fix the lights if the problem is the board, I can exchange it for a good board, or you can send me the light for a diagnosis.

1 person likes this.
  4. jetsfan_00

jetsfan_00 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought is LED. My lens has been cracked. Someone bumped me and then again another person did the same. Second person left a mark. small dent on the car. I was waiting to replace, but from your information, I need to do it sooner. Toyota wanted $190 for the right tail line assembly. I saw the same for around $140. Does it come with new LED's? Or can I expect that the new light will not waork as well?

Cheers.

5. NRaleighGuy

NRaleighGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have an 05 Prius. The rear driver brake light flickers. What would you say is the problem? How much do you charge to fix a board?