1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake light/ABS warning after replacing caliper and pads

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomellis, Nov 4, 2016.

1. tomellis

tomellis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I did the front brakes on my 2005 Prius. Had to replace one caliper, did pads on both sides. After finishing I found that the both the Brake warning light and ABS warning lights are on.

I had bled the brakes (right side only) right after replacing the caliper; I lost very little fluid and line was off for no more than 2 minutes so I can't believe any bubbles could have worked their way upstream to the master cylinder. Reservoir never got even close to empty.

What have I missed? I have been working on cars for years, and never had an issue with brake systems after a pad replacement. But this is my first time doing the Prius brakes so maybe I missed something obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Joseph MK2

Joseph MK2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    tomellis, what was the eventual fix? I now find myself in the same unfortunate situation! :(

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You need to get Techstream to bleed the brakes. Techstream will open/close the appropriate valves in the brake system so you can bleed the brakes.
    upload_2019-6-9_18-22-45.png

Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

"But I don't DIY." Getting the codes read at a Toyota dealership will set you back $100+. The cost of the hacked Techstream from Amazon will pay for itself.

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. May have to return/buy a few, as some cables have problems. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up here. Private Sales | PriusChat

It behoves you to get a copy of the factory service manual.

For the official Toyota service/repair manuals (engine, mechanical, interior, exterior, electrical, essentially EVERYTHING), go to TIS
    Two days will cost you $20. Supposedly only business days are counted (remember reading this in other threads). If you start on a Friday 12:00:00 AM, you have until Monday 11:59:59 PM, to finish.

Supposedly PDFs no longer available from TIS. Another Prius Chat member discovered how to make a CHM file into a PDF.
    Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat
    This user downloaded both his Toyota cars over the course of his 2 business day subscription.

#3 exstudent, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nowadays, a lot of good information about where to find the Repair Manual and related information is at this PriusChat wiki link, thanks to Elektroingenieur who helpfully researched it all and put it there.

The old post about "CHM" files seems to have been a red herring. There was a Microsoft help file format at one time called CHM, but there is no indication that anything on Toyota's TIS has anything to do with it. The manuals there are straightforward HTML with PNG illustrations, some SVG and JavaScript for the wiring diagrams, and still lots of PDF for other things.