1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake light, (!), and (ABS) light on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Renee98, Jun 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Renee98

Renee98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched and searched to no avail, no one seems to have the same issue as me. I was driving my 2007 on the freeway at about 70MPH when the red brake light, yellow (!), and (ABS) light came on. no beeping, and no change in driving. I drove about 50 more miles home on it with no change in performance. I checked the brake fluid, which is over the max line. I do not recall the last time it has been flushed. Brake pads were changed approx. a year ago, but i never got a warning when they were low. Was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or could tell me what it sounds like? bringing it to the mechanic tomorrow with fingers crossed its not the actuator.

Mollyisadog likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When the Prius is READY, look at the inverter coolant reservoir (between the engine and inverter) to see whether the fluid within the reservoir shows turbulence (which indicates the inverter coolant pump is running.) If the fluid is not moving around then the pump has failed.
    2. To what extent does the brake actuator pump run, when the car is READY, just sitting on the driveway and you are not depressing the brake pedal? If it occasionally runs that is normal. If it runs frequently then the brake actuator probably needs to be replaced.
    3. I hope your mechanic has received training on Toyota hybrids. If not, that individual may have trouble figuring out what is wrong with the braking system. Good luck.

3. Renee98

Renee98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.
    I checked the coolant reservoir, and it is below the far below the LOW line. however, it is showing turbulence.
    I timed the pump runs, sitting stationary. it isn't CONSTANT but it is about every 15 seconds :/ sounds like the actuator is the problem..
    my mechanic is great, he's worked on my car for a menagerie of issues in the past, but if this is the actuator, i am pretty sure I'm just going to sell this car. I've put more money into repairing it than it is worth, and i know the actuator is not a cheap fix.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Top off the coolant reservoir, maybe air has entered the system due to the low fluid level and is causing overheating.

If the actuator is the problem, have your mechanic install a used unit. The going price on eBay is around $200.

#4 Patrick Wong, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. Renee98

Renee98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any risks associated with installing a used actuator?

6. Renee98

Renee98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any risk associated with installing a used actuator?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it may be bad, and would have to be replaced. but if it comes from a trusted seller with mileage, it would be unlikely.

8. Renee98

Renee98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanic said the car is safe to drive and he’s clearing the code, we’re going to wait to see if it pops back up

bisco likes this.
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There isn't risks installing used unit. The only risks would be if it came from a Prius with the same faulty actuator.

bisco likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main risk is that the newly installed actuator might not work, in which case you could return the unit for a refund or get another unit. However you would have to pay your mechanic for the labor effort involved. So the risk is potentially losing the labor charge and the time involved with your car remaining out of service.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you look through Toyota TSBs for brake issues where they describe replacing the accumulator or actuator (the one I read was for the Gen 3 accumulator recall, but I assume the same information is in others), you see a lot of very specific warnings about handling, for example, to avoid using any woven fabric gloves or cloths while opening the connections and handling the thing with the ports open, because of the possibility of getting tiny fibers into the hydraulic circuits and valves. Things you wouldn't necessarily think of.

So, part of your judgment call on installing a used one will involve whatever you know or don't know about the people taking it out of the donor vehicle and packing and selling it to you. Are they hold-my-beer-and-hand-me-the-pipe-wrench types, or do they seem like they might actually have read those TSBs?

-Chap