1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake light on - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stlprius, Sep 18, 2021.

1. stlprius

stlprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 Prius is showing Brake light, ABS and Traction lights intermittently. Code scan revealed two codes.

One as above says Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit.
    The second one says Foreign object is attached on tip of rear speed sensor RH.

Any thoughts? Repair cost?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Happened to me in the front. Probably need a new wheel bearing hub as the sensor is integrated into the hub assembly. Use a Timken or OEM. The cheaper alternatives will fail in a year. Maybe $300 installed if you shop. A61598E1-F64E-4F2D-A58E-D41EEFB1A6F9.jpeg

ASRDogman likes this.
  3. stlprius

stlprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do they have to be replaced in pairs? Do you know if MOOG is any good?

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Moog is bad. Only Timken or OEM! No they do not have to be replaced in pairs for this issue.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There could be a few things noted in the repair manual for you to check before condemning the bearing hub.

The computer setting this code is up in the front of the car under the hood. It can set the code because the signal it receives from the right rear wheel sensor seems weird, but it has no way of leaving its post to go back there and find out why. All of the wiring and connections between that sensor and the computer are included in what the computer 'sees'.

The cause can turn out to be the sensor in the bearing hub. But it can also be frustrating to spend $300 changing the bearing hub, find out you still have the code, and then get around to checking the wires.

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Foreign object on speed sensor code.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... as surmised by a computer that's 20 feet away from the sensor, based on a pattern of electrical noise.

C1238.png

There are 13 pages of workup steps given (shared by this code and the ones for the other three corners) to help pin down which of those possible trouble areas really has caused the code.

8. stlprius

stlprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the average Joe who wants to make sure that the repair shop does the right thing in the right order, how should I approach this? Should I tell him to check the electrical connection first? Hey what are the other 12 pages that you are referring to?Thank you in advance!

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the electrical plug connection first, at the back of the bearing. Think this can be done without even raising the rear, but it does make it easier.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where you find the workup steps for different trouble codes is in Toyota's Repair Manual for the car, and we have a wiki page that Elektroingenieur kindly assembled with a lot of information on ways of accessing it, including the direct way with a small subscription fee to Toyota, and some other ways that might be available to you through existing agreements with libraries, etc.

So you open the manual and you search up the section about the C1238 code, and there you are.

Different people on PriusChat have different levels of comfort around how big a part of Toyota's manual they're comfortable copying and posting. In a way, that just fits the way US copyright law works, which doesn't give any simple clear rules for what counts as fair use; it just comes down to "do whatever you feel you could defend in court if it came to that." For me, I put the line somewhere between pasting a small selected bit that goes directly to a question in a thread (which I do a lot, like in #7) and wholesale copying a 13 page section, which I generally avoid. But there are other members here who do feel comfortable pasting whole sections, and if one of them drops by this thread you might end up with a copy here, or if you search the forum for C1238 you might find another thread where somebody already did.

If neither of those pan out, you can always go right to the source. Even paying the $20 to Toyota usually isn't unreasonable for the info you get to fix your car. (Some of us had older cars where we paid hundreds of dollars to get those manuals printed on trees.)

As for talking to the repair shop, you can probably just say you have a code where the ECU gets a funny signal from that sensor, and you'd hope to rule out any cheap reasons the signal could get funny on the way to the ECU, before settling on the expensive hub bearing with the sensor. Really, that ought to be the way a tech in a repair shop thinks anyway (not that it always is). The little bit I clipped in post #7 ought to be enough to suggest what the possibilities are.

#10 ChapmanF, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This might be what you're looking for. @ChapmanF 's "bread crumbs" helped:

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  12. stlprius

stlprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Repair shop wants to use NSK bearing assembly. Any good?

13. stlprius

stlprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Repair shop wants to use NSK bearing assembly. Any good?

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  15. kenneth winter

kenneth winter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Chapman.. I am trying to learn HOW he ABS system works.
    I am feeding the signal from the front ABS sensor into the rear sensor feed.

It not working..

Why?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are you trying to accomplish by doing that? And in what generation car (this is a Gen 3 forum, but I see a Gen 2 in your profile)? I'm pretty sure Gen 3 uses a Hall-effect-like sensor (square pulses of constant amplitude, only their width and frequency change with speed) and Gen 1/2 used simpler sensors (sine waves, frequency and amplitude increasing with speed). There might be different pulse counts per revolution for front and rear, I don't know.