1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake light switch vs. cruise control disengaging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by R-P, Nov 19, 2019.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My cruise control disengages when hitting a bump.

For ages I thought it had something to do with the ABS (e.g. the sensor-connectors), but when reading a thread on here (which I can't find at the moment) , I began to suspect the brake light switch.

SInce then I found I can deactivate the cruise control by PULLING on the brake-pedal with my toes. But (only tested when stationary with the car OFF) the brake lights don't light up when I do this.
    But when driving, this deactivates the cruise control.

EDIT: I just read a comprehensive thread on a GEN3 brake-positon and brake-ligh-sensor adjustment to fix the CC NOT disengaging while already braking lightly, which had NO indication it was a double switch.
    But when trying to find this thread again, I find threads about it being a DOUBLE sensor.

But no clear description or pics.

So any pointers to fixes, good pics and clues on what NOT to do?

2. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After testing again, the cruise control does NOT disengage when pulling on the brake, but it DOES disengage once releasing the pulling motion (somewhat abruptly, if I do it VERY carefully, it does not disengage the cruise control).
    Tomayto Tomatho... I guess that still makes it clear it is the switch somehow and I still think it does not light up the brake lights.