1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake lights came on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fonzie24, May 26, 2022.

1. fonzie24

fonzie24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Brake, ABS, and traction control lights came on in my 2011 Prius II today. I tried reading the codes with a code reader I'm not too familiar with and it came up with no fault does on either ECU.

I know that with my other car, we called it the trifecta when all 3 lights came on and it me at the ABS system went out. So my first guess is that it has to do with the ABS system in the Prius as well. Anybody have any pointers? Is this a common occurrence? What are the things to check for? Is it safe to be driving the car in this state?

Thanks

View attachment 226747
    View attachment 226748
    View attachment 226749
    View attachment 226750
    View attachment 226752

#1 fonzie24, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There are codes . Tec stream and a few others can read ABS codes. There are two parts in the Gen 3 and I think tech stream can narrow it down to which of the two they're both costly and the most expensive of the two I believe is not available or it may be again now I don't know there are guys on the list of the been through this and it's like a big royal pain. My generation too has this problem but my pedal is still normal and the brakes work I just don't have abs so I've left it alone for over a year I drive it everyday and a gen 3 you may not be able to do this the pedal may very quickly get rock hard and have no function I'm not sure about that series.

3. ilikethempgs

ilikethempgs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had all of the brake lights mostly on (sometimes off) for months. When on I had a mushy pedal, like no power assist and no regen while braking. Ended up selling the car because I’m in a high rust area and 212,000 miles. Good luck.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Easiest and fastest when those lights come on and you don't have a code reader (or you have one that doesn't show you what the codes are) is end-run around the whole code reader fuss, use a jumper wire between Tc and CG and count the light blinks. Then you have the codes we need, and no fussing with code readers that you might not have or might not work.

Details in other threads you can search up.