1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake line flare type

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by joelx0, Apr 18, 2019.

1. joelx0

joelx0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2010 Prius and the long left rear brake line has developed a leak right at the rear wheel connection end. The brake lines are coated with about .025" of some kind of rubber protection, so I am sure they will last the life of the car. However, the flared connection must be made with bare metal, and that is where it rusted out. Since the rest of the line is in new condition, I do not want to go through the effort of replacing the whole line, and plan to just splice in a new section about a foot long at the end of the exiting line.

Once I cut that line, I am out of transportation until the repair is complete. So I want to have all the necessary parts and tools with me before I start. The problem is I do not know what kind of flare the Prius uses on the brake lines. Is it the SAE double inverted flare or the DIN bubble flare? I know that the Prius uses the Bosch antilock brake servo, and that uses the DIN flare, but that is no guarantee that the rest of the flares are DIN. I called three dealers, and none of them could tell me what kind of flare is used in the brake lines in either the service or parts department. They just order a new line when needed. And none of them had a single brake line in stock that I could look at to see what kind of flare is used. Thanks for any information you can give me.

PS: Why don't they use nickel-copper lines instead of steel lines. They cost more, but are far more corrosion resistant.
    --Joel

2. doug rorem

doug rorem New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Joel,
    Sorry no response yet, but I thought I'd reply with my findings. I had to replace the rear left brake line on our 2007 Prius. I found the flare type as inverted double flare. I know you mentioned the Bosch ABS unit uses lines with bubble flares - surprised Toyota would mix and match flare types. I found a post at toyotanation (Camry section) - [forum doesn't allow links :(]....threads/rear-brake-line-fitting-problems-tube-nut-flare-nut.1686055/ that had same folks saying toyota used bubble w/ others inverted flare types! One poster there also made mention of using Toyota 'B' type brake line nuts (PN 96311-11000) that have a ~3mm unthreaded end to allow the flare to seat better. I didn't find any supplier with brake lines with those type of nuts - they're always threaded to the end. The Toyota brake nut wasn't available locally at any Toyota dealers, but Napa carries them # SER BR205 ($8.50 for pack of 4). Obviously, you have to make your own flares to use those nuts, but I found poor quality flares on some of the copper-nickel lines I bought locally (flare was at an angle to line, 'wobbled' if turning line by hand). I ended up using an Eastwood hydraulic flaring tool - worked great but $$ - I'd imagine a good quality hand flare tool is OK too. additional note - when I had leaks (due to bad flares, etc.) fluid would drip down and somehow get into the brake drum! It made a mess inside and made me think the wheel cylinder was leaking (it wasn't but I had replaced it anyway).. I used a laptop w/ techstream to bleed the brakes.
    Doug