1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Noise - New Pads and Rotors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Chicken G, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Chicken G

Chicken G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius V wagon with 70K miles on it. Had all pads and rotors replaced about a month and a half ago by a "Brake and Muffler" place. Shortly after I had a rubbing noise coming out of the back brakes, which went along with the tire rotation when I started driving in the morning. I chalked it up to some moisture getting between the pads and rotors overnight. It would go away if I hit the brakes a few times. A week after the new pads and rotors continued to make noise so I brought it back to have the "brake and muffler" place look at it.

They told me they greased everything up, shimmed the pads and everything sounded great.
    The next day, exactly the same noise. Two weeks passed of me dealing with the noise and I finally bring it back to the "brake and muffler" place. They tell me the pads and rotors are under warranty and that they would try new pads and just turn the new rotors down a little. Sure, sounds great to me.

Car is returned to me with no noise. The next day also no noise. Two days later, the noise starts back up, but now it's even worse than after the original pad replacement. I think when they replaced the pads this time, they didn't shim them like the first time. Again, the noise goes away after I hit the brakes several times, but it does take longer to go away than original pads. They are now trying to tell me that I probably need to replace the rear calipers because they contacted someone at a local Toyota dealership and were told that usually pads, rotors and calipers for these should be replaced as a set. I think they are trying to feed me a line of crap.

I also should note, the front brakes have not made any noise during this time.

Any help or suggestions?

2. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Brake and Muffler" place like Midas and others shops usually use mediocre aftermarket pads and shim kits to save 10 bucks off the parts cost, that maybe one reason for the brake noise. Another thing maybe due to rust from over night moisture and when being driving and brakes applied, the pad is wearing down the rust thus making the brake noise?

Grit likes this.
  3. CountryGolden

CountryGolden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing calipers seems like overkill. My guess is that the caliper guide pins need lubricating. The lube dries up over time and causes the brake pads to not retract fully, potentially causing the rubbing noise you're hearing.

Chicken G likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i believe there is a special technique for orienting up the rear caliper piston correctly.

why did you need new pads and rotors at 70k? that is really early for a prius.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is normal and common for any Prius to make rough brake noises after being parked in a damp environment, and for the noise to go away after several stops. It goes away faster if you shift to Neutral and make a couple of normal stops that way, which eliminates regen and forces the brakes to do all the stopping, and clears off the flash rust faster.

The noise will be back again any time the weather has been damp enough while the car was parked, and will go away again with the same treatment. As long as that's what is happening for you (has the weather been damp on those occasions?), it does not indicate anything amiss with the brakes.

-Chap

Chicken G likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he mentions that in the o/p, but unless he just got the car, he should have heard the rust many times before.

7. Chicken G

Chicken G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! It did not happen until I had new rotors and pads put on. I suspect they didn't put the correct shims in and it has also been extremely humid in New England the last month. Both probably causing the issue.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i get the scraping sound every time i overnight the car in the garage in this humidity. but it wears off quickly. that's how you know it's just a light coating of rust.

#8 bisco, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The v has different rear brake, with a mini-drum brake integrated into the rotor, so I think doesn't have the piston caliper orientation issue.

Still, something is going on, and I would lay this on the doorstep of the good ol' "brake and muffler" place.

@Chicken G at this point, I would just eat it, bring it into a dealership service department, see what the heck is going on. Hopefully just the rears.

Before taking that plunge though, feel the rear wheels after a decent drive, see if they're warm. Compare to the fronts. They should just slightly warm at most.

If you have the wherewithal: chock the front wheels, raise the rear, and see how free spinning the rear wheels are. In a pinch you can do this one rear corner at a time, with just the scissor jack. Be sure to securely chock the diagonally opposite front wheel. Get proper chocks, not just a block or rock:

upload_2018-7-30_10-3-35.png

Chicken G and bisco like this.