1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Override Malfunction. Car won't start.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by I_commute_to_work, Dec 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I_commute_to_work

I_commute_to_work Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    After a couple of days parked I got the following error in my Prius C 2015:

"Brake Override Malfunction"

Now the car won't start. I doesn't even respond to the keyless door lock. If I remember correctly, it also said to contact the dealership.

It also made a weird continuing noise, the likes it alwas does when turned off. Kinda like a suctioning vacuum.

Isn't there a correct sequence to start ? eg. press the brake and push the start button. I might of not pressed the brake this time. IDK.

Could the computer be reset ? Any ideas ? Thanks.

2. I_commute_to_work

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    UPATE: I had a hunch the auxiliary battery was discharged. I removed it and now it's charging externally. Will update.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was about to suggest to check the 12v battery. Those things last about 4-5 years.

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. I_commute_to_work

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: I removed the 12v battery and after around 11 hours of external charge ( using DieHard 71219 6/12V Shelf Smart Battery Charger and 2A Maintainer ) the car started normally and drove around the block without error messages.

IMO The culprit was the lack of use for about 3-4 days and a voltage drain from a small QYT KT-8900 ham radio I had installed. I read somewhere, if I remember correctly, those radios draw around 20 milliamps when turned off.

I disconnected that sob.

I will soon consider (1 year max) replacing this 12 v battery anyway to prevent any future surprises.

dubit likes this.