1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pad measurements at three dealers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by root_root_user, Aug 19, 2018.

1. root_root_user

root_root_user Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my 2010 Prius from a friend about five months ago. Yesterday I went for my first service at a Toyota dealership. Did a ATF exchange, changed oil and rotated tires. They also did a multi point inspection that said that front brake pads are at 4 mm and need replacement soon. At this point I decided to look over the previous service records and check the brake pad measurements at those multi point inspections. Here is what I found

Dealer 1: 7/14/2016 - LF = 8 mm RF = 8 mm LR = 8 mm RR = 8 mm
    Dealer 2: 12/17/2016 - LF = 6 mm RF = 6 mm LR = 5 mm RR = 5 mm
    Dealer 2: 6/30/2017 - LF = 9 mm RF = 9 mm LR = 7 mm RR = 7 mm
    Dealer 1: 2/9/2018 - LF = 8 mm RF = 8 mm LR = 8 mm RR = 8 mm
    Dealer 3: 8/18/2018 - LF = 4 mm RF = 4 mm LR = 6 mm RR = 6 mm

Now looking at these numbers, they are all over the place. I would understand if they were had a decreasing trend due to wear, but this seems weird. So I am wondering if the previous dealers did something wrong in the measurement or the new dealer did something wrong? Secondly, I find it hard to believe that brakes will wear 4 mm in 2700 miles of driving over 6 months. I am planning to get a second inspection done at an independent shop just to be sure.

Did anyone else have similar experiences?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve had the same dealer show a similar pattern :cool:.

I called them out on it;).

But te best way to find out is to measure it yourself. One way the pads could wear down in a short mileage or period of time is if the slide pins stick. If they do, there will be premature wear:(.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  3. root_root_user

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response. I don't have the proper setup to measure out myself as I don't have a garage or the tools. Is there any way to visually inspect if the slide pins are sticking?
    Currently I am not experiencing any braking issues, so I will wait a couple of weeks to get a second inspection at an independent shop.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’ll need to pull the wheel in order to inspect ;).

But if you see uneven pad wear, you’ll know the pins are an issue.

If you do not have a setup, the second opinion is prudent :).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mechanics love to sell brake jobs

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some will eye ball the pads and guess the mm thickness left. It’s hard to differentiate 7mm vs 6mm that’s why it’s all over the place. You want the real thickness, take the pad off and use a $1.50 measure tool like a tweaser tool from michaels to get an accurate thickness.

GrGramps, Raytheeagle and RMB like this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry grid, which tool was that?

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never take my Prius to a dealer, so don't have this kind of data on any of our cars, but the scientist in me says you can't draw any conclusion from the data you have. Basically, you can't trust dealer #1. He reported 8mm on all four pads both visits that were 19 months apart. Probably just "eyeballed" it. Unless new pads were installed between the two visits to Dealer #2, you can't grow thickness back on to pads. Dealer #3 probably actually measured them, and I believe he actually got those numbers. I'd say fronts would wear faster than rears, which is another reason not to believe Dealer #2 who had rears 1-2mm thinner than fronts both times he measured them. Keep going to dealer #3 and get a series of measurements from the same place...

9. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some are probably measuring including the backing plate and some are not.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What’s wrong with that? It seems excessive to pull the brake pads out and measure them with calipers when they look perfectly good. I don’t.... is that the recommended procedure?

11. root_root_user

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats what I am going to be doing too. Dealer #1 probably eyeballed it as you said or didn't do any kind of measurements at all. In the future, I may also start taking it to an independent mechanic because it is out of warranty and it would be cheaper to do so.
    Thanks for your inputs.

12. root_root_user

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess that would be fine. The reason for me posting was the inconsistent numbers at different times. Like others have said, they probably did an approximate eyeball measurement, so it is hard to tell apart 6 mm and 7 mm.