1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pad question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sciencekit, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace the factory rear brake pads on my 2004 Prius and might as well replace the front. Anyone have great results with an aftermarket set they want to recommend? Or should I just order OEM?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your 2004 Prius has drums in back, so you need shoes.

Tom

3. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pads, shoes... just need suggestions. :)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You may trigger warning lights. I don't really understand it, but fwiw:

Pushing in the pistons on the front calipers for example, the first time you depress the brake afterward, the pedal travel might be excessive, which in turn may trigger the warning.

The dealerships have the electronics to circumvent this, and there are work-around methods for those without the electronics, but...

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The work-around is simply to disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal before starting work.

The concern is that the skid control ECU may log a DTC as you are compressing the piston back into the caliper, if the battery remains connected.

1 person likes this.
  6. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OEM pads are generally inferior to decent name brands, just look at the BMWs OEM pads; they work well, but not for long. Try those new pads/shoes with the teflon padding built in it; they are suppose to absorb vibrations and negate those annoying squeals.

7. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    always buy oem or famous name brand: brake parts, winter tires, fluids, oil filters, headlight/foglight bulbs

its okay to buy generic: belts, struts/shocks, air filters (cabin, engine), taillight bulbs, wiper blades and all-season tires (assuming you're not stupid enough to drive them in the winter)

8. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. Typically when I work on anything where a sensor may be involved, the first step is to disconnect the 12V battery. I learned that the hard way once. I will go with name brand pads, shoes. Does anyone have a make they have been pleased with? Teflon padded brakes? Interesting. I will look into that.

9. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would just stick with the Toyota pads. The pads on the Prius lasts practically a lifetime since most of the braking is done through the regenerative process. The actual friction brakes only come on under 7mph or during heavy braking.

BMW uses great pads on their cars. They have excellent pedal feedback, minimal fade, and provide monsterous grip. However, the trade off is the DUST!! A LOT OF IT!! I use to wash my rims on my BMWs but after a several days the front rims would be coated with dusts again!

Just stick to the Toyota pads. You'll risk having to deal with other little issues like squeeking, wear, shuttering or all those little annoying issues you could potentially get when using some aftermarket pad.

If you insist on aftermarket, just go with some quality replacement. Maybe TRD?

10. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    duplicate post. pls disregard.