1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pad quote - replace at 4 MM? For 2012 Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sandylsu, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Sandylsu

Sandylsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently got my usual oil change at the local Toyota dealership. I have ~59K miles on my car.

As part of their multi-point inspection, it was noted that my left front (LF) and right front (RF) brake linings were "Red". According to their chart, "Red" means within 0-3 mm.

However, the actual measurements recorded show:
    LF: 4 mm
    RF: 4 mm
    LR: 6 mm
    RR 6 mm

My questions are:

1) If my front brake linings are at 4 mm, do I really need to get them replaced now? How much more mileage can I get out of my existing ones?

2) Dealership said I also needed to get my rotors replaced. I'm not sure I 100% agree with this, based on what I have read elsewhere on this site - that rotors should be fine at my current mileage - Resurface or replace Rotors? | PriusChat

3) Do I have to use OEM pads? Are after-market just as suitable?

4) What is the avg. price for getting brake pads replaced at the dealership? They are running a current special of $270 for front or rear disc brake. OEM pads, and rotor re-surfacing if needed. I live in NJ.

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer just needs to make a boat payment. Ignore their advise for now. Both front and rear brakes are good down to 1 mm. See attached.

Attached Files:

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oldest scam in the book they play on Prius owners... Prius primarily use regenerative breaking so the lack of use in some Prius means the brake rotors get rusty, so the con-artist uses that rust to claim the rotors are bad.

Truth is if you put it in neutral next time you get off the freeway or are going down a steep grade on the highway it will be all mechanical breaks and that will shine them up real quick.

Another truth is many Prius can easily go more than 1/4 million miles on original brakes if it's mostly highway miles.

As for the break pad thickness, that's just straight up fraud they documented in their paper work.

Of course this doesn't apply if you're using your Prius to deliver mail, because below 6mph it's all mechanical breaks and you can wear down the breaks real quick with a job like that.