1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pad replacement at 10,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by janrn, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 3 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]327505[/snapback]</div>
    Gosh, you guys in Colorado must really have an odd deal. The standard Toyota warranty is 36/36,000 months/miles. The "Prius Owner's Warranty Information" booklet (blue cover) that came with my car shows the various basic/powertrain/hybrid coverage periods. None seem to be 12/12000.

However, on page 11 (2006 booklet), the items excluded are covered. They include "brake pads/linings".

Now I agree that any decent dealer would not hassle you over a defect in the car that caused the brake pads to wear out so early and with the Prius this is probably the only way that could happen. However, if pads vs. linings was mixed up by either the service writer or thread originator, you can fry your rear linings very quickly by driving even a short distance with the emergency brake left on. We had a thread about that not too long ago.

I expect that the Prius would be relatively forgiving to a two-footed driver who kept the brakes applied with their left foot while driving with the right. Would only regeneration be happening above 8 mph or so? I don't know. I do know that a neighbor with Detroit iron did have to pay for her brakes after a short few thousand miles because that was the way she drove.

That is why I think the key here to having the brake pads or linings covered would be finding a fault that caused it to happen. If the dealer just replaces the linings (with or without a charge), I expect it will happen again in 10K miles.

- Tom

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 3 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]327528[/snapback]</div>
    True but I go to a different Toyota dealer than my dad. The one my dad goes to.. hmm.. let's say there were some questionable things done on his Camry...

Like.. fuel injector cleaner. That was NOT part of the maintenance plan but yet he got charged. The same goes for the tyres when we replaced it. You guys seem to get pretty good deals on the MXV4 Plus from Michelin but we paid nearly Cdn$800 for 3 tyres (the 4th was used from the full-size spare and the best one from the 4 we replaced was used as a spare). You guys seem to be able to get a set of 4 for under US$500. Also, why was our brake rotor warped? They said they had to machine it.

Btw, if you think I'm sceptical, because they're my home dealer, I decided to take it to them for my ECU recall/update. Oh boy...

first, the fried the ECU so I was carless for a week. Then when I got it back, the MFD plastic wasn't installed properly, the A-pillar trim wasn't installed properly, there was a scratch on the plastic by the front left window, there was grease on the seatbelt, grease (something starting with s?) for the battery on the tonneau cover, they broke my positive terminal cover and also the battery cover in the cargo area. Oh, that was because no one knew that there was a manual release for the hatch.

3. Aquila

Aquila New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the front brake pads wore down with that low miliage, check for rubbing and check the condition of the rotors for pitting or rust (which could cause premature wear on pads...dealer should have mentioned if rotors were an issue). Rust buildup happens on the braking surfaces if the car sits for a long period of time.

4. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the front brake pads at 150,000 miles. They had 90% remaining but i'd bought the new pads so i changed them.

5. Blu_too

Blu_too member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're at 52,000 miles & got the loud screeching sound - sensors? Can the Prius brake pads be serviced by a regular brake shop? Do computers need to be hooked up to the Prius to "talk"? (I was told that by one shop.) Thanks for any advice!

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's possible to replace the pads if you know what you're doing, but anything that requires bleeding the brakes requires the Toyota scan tool.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Blu-too,

Double check its not a stone between the brake pad and the rotor. It does happen. In which case, you may only need a screwdriver to pry the stone out.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As a good safety habit, one should always set the emergency brake. Agree with others, sounds like a scam.

9. Blu_too

Blu_too member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks alanh, the brake shop guy probably was thinking about bleeding the brakes and not simply changing the pads. The estimate was close to $300!

10. Blu_too

Blu_too member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey donee, when I looked at the rotor, from what I could see, the surface appeared smooth and it seemed like the space between the pad/caliper? was small. Will have to look for any stones as you suggested. Toyota dealer quoted $260 to do brake pads & rotors. Thanks for the help!

11. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just took my 2005 to the dealer for rear brake drums/shoes. Total bill was $467, but that's not bad at 145k miles, I guess. Front pads have plenty of wear left....hopefully until 250k on the front pads.

12. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I just ran an estimate through repairpal.com and it came up with a range of $364 - $497 for drum & shoe replacement in San Diego.

13. blarson8082

blarson8082 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a chance to buy a 2005 Prius in pristine shape but it has 71000 on it with the origional brakes. There have been no brake problems with the car. Should I be concerned about the mileage on the brakes?

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not. The worst thing is you might have to replace the pads soon, but unless the previous owner was a maniac they could easily last another 50,000 miles.

Avoid potential grief. Pay a Prius technician to thoroughly inspect the car before you buy it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find a new dealer........

16. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i paid 350 for front pads/rotor turning on my 02 at 137K miles, original pads