1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pad & Rotor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Matth Torrijos, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Matth Torrijos

Matth Torrijos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bought some Brake kit for my gen 3 Toyota Prius 2015. I bought the EBC Brakes USR7576 USR Sport Slotted Coated Brake Rotors for the Fronts and Hawk Performance HB629F.565 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad & Hawk Performance HB596F.690 HPS High-Performance Street Brake Pad for my Fornt and Back pads. I did not replace my rear rotors because they were still in good condition and I didnt think it will affect too much when i am using the brakes while driving. I will get these soon and give like a feedback on these brakes for the prius, since i havent seenanyone run this performance focused rotors and pads for the gen 3. Screenshot 2022-02-14 22.23.59.png Screenshot 2022-02-14 22.22.18.png

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "Performance" brakes for a car equipped with ABS is just a waste of money.
    Unless maybe you drive in the mountains a LOT, where the extra rotor cooling might be good.

The "better" brakes will just lock up the wheels and activate the ABS sooner.

3. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for that input, and yes I do drive my car to the mountains from time to time that's why I wanted to get a better brakes to have a better "bite" when I'm pressing on the break. I do wanted to play around driving with the abs off to see if I can benefit more with this brake setup but we shall see how it performs having the abs on.
    163338"]"Performance" brakes for a car equipped with ABS is just a waste of money.
    Unless maybe you drive in the mountains a LOT, where the extra rotor cooling might be good.

The "better" brakes will just lock up the wheels and activate the ABS sooner.[/QUOTE]

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure that you service and grease the slide pins for even wear on the new pads.

Matth Torrijos likes this.
  5. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'll keep an eye on that, thank you!

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One more time:
    Better "bite" is not necessarily a good thing when you have ABS.
    You get better "bite" by pushing the pedal just a tiny bit harder.

I hope you like your new brakes.
    Driving with ABS OFF is NOT a good idea, no matter how good your brakes are.

7. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your input! I'll update this thread on how it feels on how it really feels having this setup. Like I said I'm doing this upgrade 1. for the purpose of driving downhill when I go canyon riding 2. Since no one else has done this on a Prius and to give feedback on this performance brake rotors and pads on our gen 3

8. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hahahaha! for those that say upgraded rotors and pads don't help the Prius... have you ever driven a Prius before and after with non-OEM pads/rotors? If you haven't then your comment is based on internet reading and I will let you know now...
    1. you are wrong
    2. you should be experienced in the use of something before giving your opinion

After replacing the OEM parts for Aftermarket Performance Front Brake Pads and Rotors on My Toyota Prius the difference was night and day regarding the stopping power. On top of that, my Plug-in would have EV range after braking a lot quicker than with OEM. Now braking down a hill, especially when in cruise control on a long downhill grade, more EV range is available to me. Eventually, I replaced the rear OEM parts for Aftermarket Performance Rear Brake Pads and Rotors on My Toyota Prius.

I try to tell people, don't let these internet know-it-alls steer you in the wrong direction because clearly, there is a lot of that going on by people who are only relaying what they read on the internet. I plan to replace my brother's parts in his Prius and will go out by Ontario and perform a brake test before and after, will log details with OBD2 and such to show the difference they make is a big one!

Oh, my ABS isn't disconnected either and the car brakes like an indy 500 race car!

PriusCamper and Matth Torrijos like this.
  9. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    not once has my abs locked up my wheels and I know I push my Prius harder than anyone on this forum!

10. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's true! And if no one else will modify their prius, how would anyone know what our cars are capable of. Someone had to do it to prove it rather than saying something just because they don't want to do it

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  11. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PREACH!!!! now they are silent...

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've been driving all kinds of vehicles for about 60 years now and have "experienced" more than you can imagine.

The simple fact is that you can gain additional "stopping power" just by pressing on the brake pedal HARDER.
    Up to the point where the ABS kicks in.
    So, once you understand that, your improved brakes are mostly just a figment of your imagination.
    The placebo effect is a powerful thing.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    ABS does not LOCK the wheels, it UNlocks them.
    It appears that you know.......pretty much nothing.

14. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Were not trying to argue on this thread, the main purpose of this form is to try and share to everyone else what the difference is (stock vs aftermarket upgrade), not to discourage anyone that wants to "upgrade" the vehicle. Each one of us has different needs and we try things that will cater our needs. To your point, you may not need the upgrade and have your own opinions about it because you drive the car in normal circumstance. But to the people here that are wiling to explore what the car can handle, we will try this for everyone else.

I haven't recieve the parts yet so if you want to stick around and find out what the outcome is feel free to stay. But if you don't recommend what we're doing here, you can always move on to a different thread.

FYI. I'm comparing this to pads and Rotors that are still 90 percent to eliminate any "placebo" effect.

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  15. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And so it begins :) 20220216_181124.jpg 20220216_181206.jpg 20220216_181154.jpg

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  16. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you are saying no premium parts can offer an increase in stopping power and a decrease in brake fade then there is nothing else to discuss. clearly, you know all and I don't.

That would mean AMG pads and rotors perform just like non-AMG pads on rotors on, in theory, why would an AMG owner replace with AMG when they could put regular nonpremium parts on that perform the same... that's what you are saying right? So when I got a loaner car while my AMG was being serviced, it was a figment of my imagination that the CL500 didn't have as good of stopping power as my CL55... I guess it was my imagination then.

So, I responded to you saying they would lock up... that clearly went over your head...does that mean you know ..... pretty much nothing?

17. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  19. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Probably on Monday, I'm still waiting on the pads to arrive.

20. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five