1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pad & Rotor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Matth Torrijos, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Matth Torrijos

Matth Torrijos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update: drove the car from San Diego, California to Seattle, Washington. After this long trip I noticed my car does brake a bit better than my old stock setup. Brake response is quicker than stock. The sound that I was hearing from my initial install went away and I can't hear the brakes anymore. I'm planning on installing the hawk front pads still, but I'm thinking of sanding down the backplate or installing one side first then change the other side. I'll post another update when I install the front hawk pads.

TacoPapi and Montgomery like this.
  2. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update: finally got to install the front. But having just a slight clearance issue. The pads are too thick for the calipers. So my solution was to install one side first (front side) and install the other side after 40k driving. I did this so that I can wear out a little bit of the pads to fit the caliper. 20220625_173035.jpg

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd have thought getting the pad dimensions right would be a top priority for an aftermarket supplier.

Matth Torrijos likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OUCH! Wouldn't it just be best to get the correct pads for the car?

5. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'll definitely reach out to hawk so that their future products will fit our prius

6. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It says that it fits our prius but when I tried installing the pads, it won't fit

7. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    id return and not use... heck even getting some cheep new pads from autozone is better than driving one side new pad one side old pad

8. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was going to but the seller said since I attempted to install it and there's a slight scratch on the cover plate, it's not returnable anymore even if it doesn't fit.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sellin' pads that don't fit, then sayin' they can't be returned ....

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you got them off ebay, yes you can. Unless you've already damaged them.
    Just do a return saying they don't fit. Unless you are past the time to return.
    You could contact your credit card company and they might be able to help with the return.

11. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got them from Amazon from a private seller. I message them after one week of buying it and that's when they refused the return. So it's been about 3 months now and I just want to install one side at least so I can run the pads instead of wasting them. I've contacted Hawk company directly, just now, and hopefully they can help me out.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it's past time then...

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cut your losses??

14. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update: Rear pads started to be really squeaky, my thought is maybe i needed the rear rotors swapped to slotted to prevent noise. So far thats the issue im having.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What did you do for shims?

I recently replaced my rear pads and shims. Bought Toyota. The pads are updated since the ones installed at the factory. There was a TSB about it (T-SB-0248-12). The new shims are crazy elaborate, not just flat metal. The TSB has a new way of applying the shim grease, different from the way the repair manual showed. It was like a whole religious ritual ... I probably spent half an hour just applying the shims and the shim grease before putting the pads in the calipers.

But anyway, they don't squeak.

16. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just left the shims how it is from the box, I just made sure that everything is well greased

17. Matth Torrijos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update: Replaced the rear Hawk Pads with Ceramic ones because of the squeaking noise whenever Air out. (im running air bag suspension on my Prius) Every time the car airs out the rear tires shift forwards. Since the hawk pads aren't full ceramic it makes a loud screeching sound whenever I park. I still left my front EBC rotors and Hawk pads because you can definitely tell that the brakes have more stopping power with that setup (even with half OE and half Hawk). But for the rears, it's not that necessary to upgrade. the only difference i saw is that the rear locks the tire more when engaging the Ebrake. so the performance on the rear is just on the E brake, which i don't use when driving lol. Anyways I'm happy with the fronts and I cant wait to put all hawk pads on the fronts when it's time.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. 2zrmpg

2zrmpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so i did a little research and if you want to upgrade ur prius brakes you will need Toyota Corolla rotors and caliper brackets and possibily pads. heres the facts:
    Prius Rotors: 255mm diameter 25mm thick
    Corolla Rotors: 275mm diameter 22mm thick
    Corolla Rotors: 283mm diameter 22mm thick
    Prius caliper piston: 57mm
    Corolla caliper piston: 60mm
    Prius Hub Center Bore: 54.1mm
    Corolla Hub Center Bore: 54.1mm
    Prius Bolt Pattern: 5x100mm
    Corolla Bolt Pattern: 5x100mm
    obviously the prius uses a short thick brake caliper which potentially helps with warping. the corolla uses a larger sportier rotor to fill the wheel well better. i will be looking to upgrade to corolla brakes soon.
    remember the subarus are 5x100mm with a 56.1mm center bore

Matth Torrijos and bisco like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    wait wait wait... no one knew the FRS brakes work? Huh? but then, why replace it with OE FRS when you could pop on a BBK? maybe I am just thinking too far into this. but... I mean... I'm using the rear FRS rear wheel bearing on the AWD conversion so I have to match it with the front bolt patterns. just... FRS BBK THO!

what I can't wait to see is the logged data to compare the total energy stored from braking on the PHEV! I haven't checked if this data point is on the none PHEV but for you folks attempting brake upgrades, it would be good proof in the pudding to know this and other data points prior to your modifications and after!

I am waiting to receive custom pcb obd2 boards with Bluetooth and wifi built in, along with an sd card slot. So no need to have a smart device or other always open to store the vehicle's data. Can read codes, just need to test if it'll read enhanced diagnostics heck, no USB port yet but if can control Techstream via wifi with this device I'll be happy, else ill settle for a USB port added on with USB-C to communicate with Techstream. That to say, I hope they hurry and arrive, for a sub $100 data logging code clearing techstreaming device I might have found a winner, and the perfect use case is logging data before and after upgraded brakes.

Matth Torrijos likes this.