1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pads and rotors replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by a2058, Apr 13, 2023.

1. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I am about to change the pads and rotors, and wanted to check on the procedure. I am to remove the 12v battery connection at the ground side, is that all I have to do before starting? I came from a gen 2 before this one, and there, I just had to remove the ABS relay and then make sure to slowly press on the brake pedal a few times to get the pressure up before reconnecting the relays. I assume I would do that and then reconnect the 12v battery, then do the fuel lid open/close, drive straight line at 22mph for 5 seconds, please check my procedure for me, if I am missing something…
    Thanks in advance!

2. bikeprof

bikeprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I changed ALL the brakes and rotors with new equipment.

MAKE SURE the BATTERY is disconnected and use NEW fluid( DOT 3 synthetic or 4).
    Either know how to turn back the pressure cylinder that puts pressure on the pads with regular tools(kinda like MacGyver style), or rent/purchase tool...(have it before you start !)
    Bleed as much old fluid out of system/lines and be cool, NEVER in a rush, that's when errors happen !

There is a trick removing rotors off of the hub! Install a bolt/metric on holes(2) in old rotor between wheel studs, and slowly pressure rotor from hub(I used just one bolt/screw. IT WILL COME LOOSE this way, it's the best way. Beating on it(rotor), won't loosen it.

(Don't know if i'll get in trouble but... Bought my stuff at BUYBRAKES,COM
    Centric Premium Disc Brake Rotor)

3. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks! I think that’s clear. I can then bleed the fluids with battery disconnected, correct? I guess do not have to be in the electronic brake invalid mode to do this, if the battery is disconnected?.. I have a pressure bleeder, so I intend to use that with the Toyota dot 3 brake fluid….

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are simply changing pads and rotors, there is no need to open the hydraulic system at all, hence no air gets in, hence no need for bleeding anything.

If you do open any hydraulic lines, you should have a good reason for it, and then you're into a bigger job:

In earlier generations (and maybe with Gen 4 but I can't say for sure) you can sometimes get away with folk approaches to bleeding if you have only worked at the wheel ends of the lines and worked as carefully as possible so only a little air is there and none has traveled up the lines to the head-end parts.

If air gets into the head-end components, the car's built in bleed procedure (started either with Techstream or another scan tool that can do so) is what's needed to get all the air out. That's also the case if the reservoir level gets low and any air enters during a folk bleeding attempt.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a capable scan tool on hand for that.

Drakxyfly likes this.
  5. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I see, thanks! I have the motive pressure bleeder tool and the cap attachment for Toyota reservoirs, have three bottles of Toyota dot3 fluid. Just trying to see if I can replace the fluid in the lines as it’s been like 4 years already…

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For Gen 3, there is a published fluid replacement procedure you can follow without a scan tool, if you are careful and everything goes right.

Key is that fluid replacement does not mean bleeding, so it's only fluid replacement if there are no bubbles in there to start with, and you make absolutely sure none get in during your job.

If some do, that turns it into a bleeding job, so even if that isn't the plan, you might want to have lined up where you will go for a suitable scan tool to run the bleeding procedure if you turn out to need it.

Pressure bleeders and vacuum bleeders are cool, but neither will make fluid or bubbles go through closed internal valves that you can't tell the computer to open in the right sequence.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's some relevant Repair Manual info.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  8. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See the “3rd gen rear brake…” link in my sig too, for some tips and tactics. Should hold true for 4th gen.

10. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Great info, thanks! Looking at the gen 4 manual information, the carrier to knuckle bolt torque values are different from the 3rd gen, it seems lower in the gen 4. Blue Loctite these bolts?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don’t understand carrier to knuckle bolt. I’d only put loctite on bolts if it’s specd. Typically torque values are with clean, dry threads. If you opt for anti-seize or other lube, you should reduce torque. There’s table guidelines for what percent to reduce.

12. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks, seems like nothing is said in the manual so I will just torque them to spec…

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    All done just today, everything went real easy. No real issues. The front caliper slide pins were almost seized so it was a good timing to lubricate them… the rears were fine. Main issue was the wheel hub face rusting in places that made the rear rotors to seat unevenly (that was the source of noise from the rear brakes). I had to use an die grinder to smooth this out and all was well. I fluid filmed the hub face before installing the new rotors. No DTC was set following the battery reconnect routine.

I think as per one of the suggestions , removing the parking brake cable hold down bracket about a foot forward from the hub assembly, plus removing the brake hose hold down bolt at the strut housing above really helped in maneuvering the caliper around without disconnecting the parking brake actuator. I also used the new pneumatic caliper pushback device that I got recently, and it worked really well.

The bolts that attach the caliper carrier to the steering knuckle had white residue on about 1/4 inch at the end of the threads, presumably the factory application of the thread locking compound. So I also put blue loctite on them and torqued to the specified 79 ft-lb as per the manual.

I wanted to change the pads and rotors first, let all the old fluid run back up, then I will probably replace the brake fluid next week some time… The fluid level came right back up to the Max fill line after all new parts were installed. With the worn pads and rotors, it was right around the Min line…. I had 110000 miles on these original pads and rotors. Pads were about 4mm left on the fronts, 3mm left on the rears.

All in all, it was an easy job!

14. Paul Greenberg

Paul Greenberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What do you think about opening the brake fluid reservoir cap to relieve any pressure when pushing the caliper piston back in before installing new pads?
    I did this and no air seems to enter system.

iPhone ?

15. Paul Greenberg

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where did you get the cap adaptor?

iPhone ?

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The brake fluid reservoir is not air tight; no need to take cap off. Just keep an eye on the level when retracting pistons, in case it’s been topped up, and accordingly prone to overflow.

if you’re intending to do a brake fluid replacement no special cap needed. There’s a repair manual procedure without Techstream, @NutzAboutBolts has a good video (he bleeds in an order that varies from repair manual; I stuck with the manual order). It’s video #18 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

It’s a good strategy to baste out reservoir and replace fluid before starting. Don’t drop it too low, to where you may introduce air. That would be hard to do: there’s a screen within the reservoir which hampers basting.

Also see brake fluid replacement link in my signature. On a phone turn it landscape to see signature.

17. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I got the cap adapter for pressure bleeding off Amazon, I have not yet had the chance to fit test it yet. It said cap adapter for Toyota and Lexus, with some ok reviews. The quick disconnect is not the standard American type so I had to retrofit it with a short piece of reinforced tubing and a hose barb end and then a normal quick disconnect fitting.

on Amazon, it’s called
    SMOTIVEPRO 43mm Master Cylinder Bleeder Adapter Compatible with Toyota and Lexus

18. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

Thanks! I will make sure to not suck out the reservoir too far down before adding new fluid before starting. That’s useful to know..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Paul Greenberg

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the info.
    I was also looking for a brake fluid reservoir adaptor cap for my motive pressure bleeder if you happen to know where to get one.
    Been looking a while and can’t find one but noticed in part of this thread some have has one

iPhone ?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pressure-bleeding equipment seems like more of a waste of time.

If all you are doing is fluid replacement (there's no air needing to be bled out, and you don't introduce any) you don't need it; the simple procedure in the manual works fine.

If you actually need to bleed and there's air in the head-end components, it won't do the job; there are valves in those components that simply are not open unless you are using the scan-tool-initiated procedure to bleed.

Drakxyfly likes this.