1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pedal hard

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusDadNoob, Mar 5, 2022.

1. PriusDadNoob

PriusDadNoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius 238K
    My brakes seem harder than they used to. I have to press harder than normal to stop the car. The ABS rattle seems normal enough, regular but not running all the time. I've bled the brakes (without Techstream) No DTC codes. I checked the brakes visual and made sure everything was tight and they look okay. Brake fluid level fine.

I'm just worried about being able to stop in an emergency.

There is also a small clunk from the front right wheel when I take off from a stop. This happens in EV or normal mode. Could this be related? You guys are so helpful and I'm really hoping to get this figured out soon! Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you should get your brakes check, along with the clunking sound. You have a strange sound and brake problem symptoms.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long ago did you bleed the brakes? Was this trying to deal with this symptom or could it of contributed to the problem? Prius are bit weird with brake bleeding and while it requires using Toyota Techstream software, some people have been able to do it without.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a non-Techstream method in the repair manual, well for bleeding the brakes, which can amount to the same thing. I understand from @ChapmanF the non method is not effective if you’ve got air in the brake booster. But for reg fluid change seems fine.

5. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, did it with my mechanic and no problems. :)

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this different for Gen3 compared to Gen2?

Or maybe that should be my personal tagline every time I post to the Gen3 forum?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah gen 2 Repair Manual doesn't say anything about non-Techstream method, using "invalid mode". It might be worth a test, for anyone with a 2nd gen, to try the invalid mode chicken dance, see if it works.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Under most "normal" conditions, there should be NO ABS rattle.

I think you are right to be mildly concerned and need help from a qualified shop.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Precisely, and that's why the repair manual specifically calls it a non-Techstream fluid replacement procedure, and does not call it a bleeding procedure.

As long as you are doing pure fluid replacement, on an already properly-functioning system, with no bubbles in it, the procedure is adequate.

Dealing with bubbles requires bleeding, a different job that does not have a non-Techstream procedure in Gen 3. (You can get by with some improvised procedures if your only bubbles are in lines downstream of the actuator.)

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bled them after this problem came up. I have used the Foxwell 630 scan tool to do this on my gen 2 but it does not seem to work on my gen 3. That scan tool replicates Techstream and worked great on my Gen 2. This time I did a traditional brake bleed.

11. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Mendel Leisk I did the chicken dance, got it into invalid mode, and did the bleed. The stiff brakes still persist.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's interesting: there is no mention of invalid mode in second gen manual, at least not in the pdf I have. There is mention of "ECB invalid", but no chicken dance description.

13. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My gen 3 (2010) definitely was in invalid mode (or whatever you call it) Not sure about doing this on a gen 2 as my Foxwell scanner allowed me to bleed the brakes as if I had techstream.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah whoops thought you were dealing with 2nd gen, my mistake.

15. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a hard brake pedal you may have the dreaded nitrogen leak. Be careful I hear you can lose all brake boost at once when it fully goes. You can probably still drive the car but if you are a small human or not expecting it you can get into some trouble. Yup my 2010 also has the garbage abs. I just know not to hit the brakes over big bumps on my off ramps on my commute for this reason as it cuts the brakes excessively for the rest of the ramp.

Also, even though this was a tsb that effected our cars they pretty much made it impossible to take your car in to get it fixed when i asked about it probably 5-6 years ago.

#15 Paladain55, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    PriusDadNoob likes this.
  16. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where can I find more info on this nitrogen leak and can I replace the 2010 "garbage ABS" (I assume you mean actuator and assembly the pedal connects to near firewall?)

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Gen 3 there are two, absolutely distinct, causes that sometimes get mixed up.

The accumulator does contain a metal bellows with pressurized nitrogen on one side (that's the way it's built in all generations). If that develops a leak, then nitrogen does get over to the wrong side of it, so there's some gas in the brake fluid, and less gas on the other side where it's supposed to be, and the result will be more frequent pump running, just like in a residential well water system when there's not enough air in the pressure tank.

There was a bad batch of accumulators in the first year of Gen 3, covered by recall D0H. The metal bellows inside had been manufactured slightly too small, so it banged on the inside walls of the accumulator while driving, and developed early cracks. (Of course that doesn't mean the non-defective ones can't ever wear out; nothing lasts forever. But the undersized ones failed early.)

That issue can give you extra-frequent pump runs when you use the brakes, but it will never explain an issue where the pressure leaks down continually even when you're not touching the brakes and the pump just continually runs. That is an internal hydraulic fluid leakage, nothing to do with nitrogen from the accumulator.

That hydraulic leakage is what the ZJB and related service campaigns are about. The NHTSA investigation into it was focused on hydraulic valve wear.

So, if you'd like to learn more about the nitrogen leak, you can look up "safety recall D0H" (and its technical instructions, T-CP-D0H-A510-D).

If you'd like to learn more about the hydraulic leak, you can look up "customer support program ZJB" and its related investigation.

You can find both at NHTSA's 2010 Prius page, scrolling down to the Recalls & Safety Issues section. Four tabs are there, Complaints, Recalls, Investigations, and "Manufacturer Communications". A recall (like D0H) is under the Recalls tab, while a "customer support program", like ZJB, is under the Manufacturer Communications tab. The investigation related to ZJB is under the Investigations tab. (The Complaints tab is pretty much unmoderated irate-owner submissions, so it's not much different from stuff you're used to reading on yelp, etc.)

Mr. F, PriusDadNoob and mikey_t like this.
  18. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent summary. Thanks so much. I'll look into the recall ASAP. My pump does not run all the time, rather it runs when I open the driver's door to enter the car and at various times. My gen 2 runs whenever I press the brake, but my gen 3 (the one with the stiff brakes) seems to run less frequently. Perhaps that is part of the issue. My limited knowledge would say stiff brakes means less pressure in lines which comes from pump not creating pressure. I know it's not that simple though!

Thanks again and if you think of other things let me know. I may take it to the deal for assessment :-( I try to avoid that due to the cost and the fact that PriusChat people seem to know more than them!

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The pump's job is to create the pressure by pumping fluid into the accumulator bottle that stores it. With the system in good condition and not leaking, the pressure stays high in the accumulator without the pump having to run much.

The pump just runs like the well pump in a house with well water: turns on only when the pressure gets below a cut-in point, then turns off as soon as the pressure is back above a cut-out point. Pump running less frequently is what you want. :)

Using a scan tool that can retrieve the skid ECU live data list, you can watch what the pressures are in the accumulator and the brake lines.

PriusDadNoob likes this.
  20. PriusDadNoob

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ChapmanF My scan tool can show me that data and I have looked at the pressure numbers but I am not sure what they should be so the data is not useful. Do you know where I can find out what the pressure should be?