Brake Pedal Sticky and Slow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by psychprof, May 27, 2017.

1. psychprof

psychprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All. On one of my two 2007 Priuses the brake pedal has become hard to push down and it springs back slowly compared to the other car. In fact, if I step down hard on the brake at a stop and then take my foot off, it feels as though the brake stays engaged for a couple of seconds while the pedal slowly comes back up. Otherwise the brakes feel like they are working fine. Any thoughts about what could be causing this? Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Take a look underneath the brake pedal and see why it's sticking

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like pedal stroke simulator is bad. It's designed to simulate the pedal feel of a regular brake system. Not familiar with this device as can't remember anyone with that complaint in the last 10 years.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the pedal stroke simulator. Use the search forum found at top of page and search

Pedal stroke simulator

5. psychprof

psychprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't see anything inside the car that is impeding the pedal. I will look into the pedal stroke simulator possibility. Thanks.

6. psychprof

psychprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a quick update from the OP here. I noticed that the car was also making an buzzing noise from the engine compartment up in front of the steering wheel. About three seconds on and 15 seconds off ... constantly! Based on reading some other threads, it sounded like the brake actuator, which is under an extended warranty until December 31, 2017. Took it to the dealer and, sure enough, that's what it is and it is completely covered even though the car is 10 years old and has 120k miles. Sometimes things work out. :)

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! so the leaking brake actuator made the pedal sticky? i'll never remember that.(n)

8. psychprof

psychprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, no. :( After having the actuator replaced (which needed to be done anyway and was free), the pedal felt normal for a day or so ... but then it started doing the same thing. I was also getting some noise from the passenger side rear brake whenever it released, so I took it to my regular mechanic who checked all the brakes, cleaned the rear brakes, and replaced the pads on the front. Again probably needed to be done and it eliminated the noise but it didn't solve the main problem.

So, still, depressing the brake is hard and when released it is slow to return. So slow, in fact, that if I am pressing on it normally while stopped and then lift my foot, there is a lag of a couple seconds before the brake fully disengages and the car starts moving. It feels to me like something hydraulic ... but I really have no idea how to diagnose it. I hate to go back to the dealer but I may have to. Will update if anything changes.

bisco likes this.
  9. WoodyGecko

WoodyGecko New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @psychprof did you figure anything out? I am having the same problem with my 2004 Prius brake pedal.