1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake problem after new caliper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by David Scott Dallas, Aug 29, 2019.

1. David Scott Dallas

David Scott Dallas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I replaced my front bearing and accidentally popped the brake caliper to fully extended while it was apart. I bought a new caliper but have been having trouble getting the crush washers tight enough not to leak whilst getting the bolt to line up with the brake line. How lined up does it need to be? I bled it just fine but when I started it up all the brake lights were on and the brakes no work so good. The bearing is smooth now. Abs light and brake light and a round one are all on. What should I do? Is the line up maybe the problem?

2. David Scott Dallas

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If I can bleed the brake I’m assuming the bolt hole is lined up enough with the brake line. Also I have to go back and line up the hole in the dust cover with the speed sensor. That should throw off the abs I’m assuming.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just tighten the banjo bolt to the specified torque. The hole doesn't have to line up any particular way; there is room between the bolt's outer diameter and the hose fitting's inner diameter for the fluid to get through in any position.

4. David Scott Dallas

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One

That’s great. Thanks! Any idea about the warning lights or why the brakes don’t work right?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are the trouble codes?

6. David Scott Dallas

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    C1341 hydraulic system malfunction
    C0200 speed sensor
    I already know the speed sensor isn’t set up right. Could that be the only problem?

7. David Scott Dallas

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was able to turn off the warning light that is the red word “brake . That was the one for the leaking or malfunction. The only code left is the speed sensor and I’ll fix that this evening. I’m really hoping once I get that done everything will be OK

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, the C1341 isn't even something I can find, in a 2010 book, anyway. I guess they could have added a code later on in the years of Gen 3, but I'm not sure. Might be worth looking up in the 2015 edition.

If you can find it in the manual, there will be a lot more useful information there, compared to the little fortune cookie saying "hydraulic system malfunction".

9. David Scott Dallas

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Mine is a 2006. Online it said it most likely indicates a leak. Well it was certainly leaking while I was monkeying around with it. Makes for a slippery good time. I pulled the dust cover this evening and aligned the hole with the wheel speed sensor and voila, the rest of the warning lights go off. All better. My bad. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. It really helped me stop worrying about it.