1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake problem.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rajitha, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Rajitha

Rajitha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I am from Sri Lanka and got a Prius 2010 (3rd generation) JDM. Sometimes when i am trying to brake to avoid
    potholes on the road surface or road hump specially while coming down a hill, the brakes sort of loosen up and the car travels further and then brakes.

Further, I noticed that EVSC does not indicate when the incident happens. Therefore, it should not be the EVSC. I have recently changed the ABS modulator. Originally it had a EA model but had to replace with EB. As per my memory, this was begun after the change. Anyone can help me on this please..

I found out there was a post on same issue from a member from Fiji Islands but could not found a proper answer. Also there are information regarding recall for Prius 2010 regarding a problem with the regenerative braking system a software glitch. Anyway I will not be able to get a software update since this is a JDM and no way to find whether this is updated or not as Toyota, Sri Lanka not liable for JDM models.

However I am a bit worried and want some help as to how to solve this issue can it be a defect or something else.

feedback will be highly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it's a minor issue with a delay between traction control and braking. the software update helps a bit, but just keep a firm foot on the pedal, and you'll get used to it.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The way to resolve the issue is buy a different car. This is a normal with Prius.

Tariq87 likes this.
  4. Rajitha

Rajitha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the reply Grid. How can I update the software and how to check the whether updated? Only with Toyota scanner?

Thanks Bisco, How can I update the software and how can I check the current version? What about the difference between EA and EB? any ides?

#4 Rajitha, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope that this behavior, since it is normal for a Prius, was not the reason you went to the trouble to replace the actuator!

You can check the firmware version with Techstream. In the US, a car that has 15 inch wheels and has been updated will have version F152647106 or newer, and a car that has 17 inch wheels and has been updated will have version F152647126 or newer.

Those version numbers come from the US service campaign document T-CP-A0B-0001-D, available to US customers on techinfo.toyota.com, but I am not sure where you would find the corresponding information for the JDM. @Elektroingenieur might know.

As far as I know, there was nothing earth-shaking about the update; all Prii have the regen-to-ABS split-second feeling of brake loss, but that update was released after there were especially many inquiries about it for the 2010 model, so probably the change managed to make it less startling. In the US, it was handled as a recall, not just an if-requested service, so is probably worth having, in case it did change anything more in the firmware than we know about.

I just don't know what the corresponding information for JDM would be.

-Chap

Elektroingenieur and Rajitha like this.
  6. Rajitha

Rajitha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for the valuable information ChapmanF.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we go to the dealer here, no idea how you would do it in sri lanka, sorry.

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I can confirm that the update in 2010 was a global recall: see Toyota’s announcement and the MLIT notice (PDF) and database entry (all in Japanese), but I don’t know how anyone outside the Toyota dealer network would get the remedy instructions or updated software for vehicles first sold in Japan. Even the FAINES database, the usual source of repair information for the aftermarket, seems to include only recall notices, not work instructions.
    You’re in a better position than we are, of course, to know what the Toyota dealer in your country will or won’t do, but if you haven’t already asked them specifically about safety recalls, you might check again. In Singapore, for example, the Toyota distributor isn’t responsible for the warranty on cars they did not sell, but they will do at least some recall repairs on them, for which they are reimbursed by Toyota in Japan.

You could search Toyota’s recall database (in Japanese) by frame number to see if the update was done before the car left Japan, though I realize that the ABS actuator was replaced later. If the recall is listed as incomplete, that might be enough to get Toyota Lanka to help, especially since they’re a Toyota Tsusho subsidiary.

9. Buderim

Buderim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    How do you enter the Vin number there does not appear to be enough spaces on the 2 entry boxes ?

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You don’t. Toyota vehicles sold in Japan are identified by model code and frame (chassis) number, not by a seventeen-digit VIN as used in other countries. The first box is for the model code (ZVW30, for a third-generation Prius car) and the second box is for the frame number, typically seven digits.

11. Mahagodage Amal

Mahagodage Amal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

#11 Mahagodage Amal, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020