1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake problems, Stroke Sensor, and Dealer Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smasho, Sep 8, 2008.

1. smasho

smasho New Member

About a month ago, I encountered a problem with my brakes. While driving the red "BRAKE" light as well as the amber "!", "ABS", and "VSC" lamps came on. I still had brakes, but the pedal traveled more that normal before braking commenced - as if there was no regenerative braking available. In addition, if felt as if there was little or no power assist and when they did engage they were very non-linear, grabby, and difficult to modulate. At least I still had brakes. I stopped, checked fuses, fluid, and under the car and found nothing to be amiss. We got back on the road, my wife called the dealer, and they had us come in - fortunately they were open on Saturday. Driving there the symptoms did not change and were fully evident when we arrived at the shop.

Once there a tech hooked up a very ruggedized laptop to the car, spent about fifteen minutes on the laptop, drove the car around the garage, and reported that the diagnostic code showed a problem with the stroke sensor and that it was OK now. I do not know how he fixed it - I presume he reset something or other. We went on our way without problem happy to have been helped promptly and without charge.

Last Wednesday I took the car in for the 60,000 mile service. I mentioned to the writer that I'd been in and there had been a problem with the sensor. He laughed it off saying that weird things happened occasionally. I figured that if he did not want to take my money, there was nothing to worry about. That afternoon, $352 later, I drove out and everything was fine.

Saturday we go out and about 40 miles from home experienced the same problem. Furious is the closest word I could use in mixed company to describe my feelings at that time. We drove back home are changed cars and went about our business.

I'll be taking her in to the shop on Monday. The drive during rush hour promises to be exhillerating as the brake system is difficult -but not impossible- to manage. I may call first to warn them. I'll certainly mind my temper, but I will not be happy. Am I wrong to think that they owe me some consideration here. After all I had had problems with this recently, and I did mentioned it to the writer, and was resigned to paying for a new sensor. It would have been much more convenient to do it all at once. It would have been so much less embarrassing as my Rush Limbaugh worshiping brother in law was with us both times. Or am I just being unreasonable? Is it acceptable to break down, this soon after a major service, with the failure of a part you brought to the writer's attention?

Does anybody have an idea of what the repair should cost?

I will post the dealer's and service writer's name for better or worse after I find out how they treat this.

N.B. I'm not a Prius basher. I love my 2005, I loved my 2002, and -save for the Tesla- there's not another car on the market I'd rather have.

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMHO, resetting code that showed problem in stroke sensor was irresponsible.
    Sensors could be at the borderline of failure. It should have been replaced the
    first time. I think your 2005 is out of warranty. I double it qualifies as part
    of powertrain (5yr/60K miles) warranty.
    Anyway, stroke sensor tells the ECU the extent of your brake pedal. ECU makes decision based upon it. W/o it functioning properly, the ECU is confused. You are left with the basic braking (probably unassisted).

Since the sensor failed again. There should be another code thrown. Ask dealer to change it this time. You should call Toyota customer service to ask them to cover it.
    A failed brake is very dangerous on the road. I would file a complaint to NHTSA if Toyota refuse to cover my cost. If there are high failure of stroke sensors, Toyota will have to do a recall if NHTSA requires them to after investigation.

Hope you get your 2005 fixed. I got one also.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck getting your car to the dealer. Please let us know what DTC was logged. The stroke sensor problem is covered by the 3 year/36K mile warranty, so you are on the hook for the repair.

The first time the problem happens, it seems to be customary for the tech to clear the code and if the code does not reappear while the car is in the shop, to send you on your way. This happened to my dad's 2007 recently, please see my posts 45 and 48 in the following thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/11798-brake-failures-04-prius-5.html

Note that the repair is to either replace the stroke sensor or the brake ECU. If the tech isn't sure which part has failed and charges you to replace both, then you will be facing a 4-digit repair bill.

4. smasho

smasho New Member

Well the dealer called and they say the stroke sensor is binding. Having looked at the tech diagrams that makes perfect sense to me. Of course the part is not in stock but they say it will be in tomorrow, $400 installed. I'll get a rental tonite - it's just not safe to drive as it is.

The biggest hassle so far was having to ask the shuttle driver to please turn the radio (Bill O'Reily) off. It's just not the venue for right or left wing political diatribes.

5. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A LONG brake pedal stroke can also mean that the rear brakes have worn down to the point that they are not doing much braking.

The point of my post is that you need to actuate the self adjusters in the rear brakes. You do this when driving backwards ( in a safe manner) and stabbing the brakes repeatedly.

Failure to activate the self adjusters can cause a brake failure.

6. smasho

smasho New Member

Well I got the car back this evening. $402, I should have seen Troy! I think the dealer, Beaverton Toyota, sensed my exasperation as the rental Corola was comped.

Indeed it was the stroke sensor. The long pedal stroke was caused by the lack of regen. Interestingly, the brakes are now smooth clear down to a full stop; previously they had developed a little grabbiness just before coming to a stop.

Two days driving a Crayola was a good reminder of how refined the Prius is.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad it worked out for you, smasho. Beaverton Toyota is pretty good.