1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pump Actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by C Clay, Mar 3, 2024.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This seems like one of the “big repairs” you read about a Prius may need. How can one prevent this, if at all? I don’t suspect anything is wrong with mine, but I was watching a video of a replacement and learned that’s what that noise is when I open my drivers side door.

Some background: I’ve already paid for a head gasket, I actually don’t fear a battery replacement/cell replacement(expense anyway), and I’m looking at buying a couple of gen 3’s. I’ve been trying to get my friend and son in law in on being a Prius aware troubleshooter/mechanic in the Nashville area as they both have equipment and shop space (as a $ide hustle).

So again, is the brake actuator a common fail item, and what are the signs of failure?

iPhone ?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Real common and if you made it this far you should buy both of the pieces with the maximum discount you can get and I guess count your blessings or pay for the same repair in the shop twice whatever makes you happy It doesn't matter about your side hustle and your tool collection and all of that I promise and if you've made it this far. What's happened with the head gasket and the engine and that sort of thing but I guess

3. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you mean- both pieces?

I’m sorry I probably gave more info that was needed in my post- but the part about my friend was that he already buys and sells cars he repairs that he is familiar with - mostly a lover of GM products. I’m trying to get him into buying “problem Prius’s “ to fix/sell. Thanks

iPhone ?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't get too worried before you have to. There is an electric pump in the system, and its job is to run and pump brake fluid, and that's the sound you hear when you open the driver door. It is not a problem when the part is just doing its job. It also runs again every few times you've used the brakes. Doing its job. Perfectly normal.

It can be a problem if you hear the same sound happening too many other times. That's a different story. But don't just listen to a video that has the sound of the pump in it and think "omigosh that's what failure sounds like!". It's just what the pump sounds like, doing its job.

When somebody talking about a gen 3 brake system says "both pieces", they mean these:

[​IMG]

The pump is in the bottom one, most of the bits that can wear out are in the top one, but they're very interdependent, so when there ever is a problem, it's usually not just obvious which piece is at fault.

5. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Chap! By chance you do remember, it was I who bought some injectors from you about 10 years ago for that gen 1?

iPhone ?

6. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been on the fence about just ordering a brake actuator now for when the time comes. Just did a head gasket and plan to keep my car as long as possible. It's the down time mostly from shipping that kills me on a major repair and my dealership is the king of the markup so I try to avoid them.

That said, it shows no signs of failing at over 220k miles. I've done a few DIY brake flushes over years, I also wonder if 'using' it helps much. Like getting yourself in braking scenarios that cause the actuator valves to get used. We didn't get much snow this year so I never had my actuator 'actuate' in a ABS situation, which in my mind would probably be good for it to get fluid flowing. Who knows though?

I'm surprised no-one seems to have done a breakdown on one of these.

Also curious, is the part updated at this point? If I buy a new one is it different from the original one in my car?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I recall correctly, one of the businesses often mentioned here (Hybrid Pit Stop?) has advertised 'rebuilt' ones (or a service to 'rebuild' yours), though when I looked for further info it seemed a bit closemouthed and proprietary about what they do. Pictures were pretty.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah there's a guy in Florida that was advertising on eBay that claimed the same thing and when I questioned him about it he sent me a bunch of photographs of his rig somewhere in Florida lower Georgia I'm not really sure I ordered two pieces from him this is for the generation 2 now and they worked flawlessly still are working flawlessly I have one sitting here on the bench I'm going to try and break it down and see if anything makes any kind of sense I would think too that either of these things generation 2 or 3 should not be any big deal to rebuild companies used to rebuild similar looking devices on BMW Lamborghini and other high-end vehicles in the '80s when this ABS mess first started. I remember BMW owners being tasked with paying five and $6,000 for this ABS pump and all that rigging from Bosch.

9. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do you have his info, I would need my gen 2 actuator rebuilt or replaced

Tombukt2 likes this.
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    He just literally vanished into thin air He sent me two pieces of the brake actuator assembly stamped marked and blah blah blah both of them worked flawlessly I went back to order two or three more and could not find this human being anywhere I will look in my eBay mess and see if I can possibly figure out his name or whatever and get it to you but the last time I looked everything even the history just was not in my eBay files I don't understand it how can he just disappear like that You know out of my already purchased or purchased history I just don't get it I don't think it's on my end because I can look at eBay purchases I made Jesus Christ almost 20 years ago.

11. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like his ebay account was closed or changed name

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Something weird happened I don't know what I just don't understand how his receipt to me on eBay just vanishes out of my history I don't care what happens to the company or the person my validation of my purchase date and all of that should remain in my eBay history It is like I never bought this freaking thing and I have two of them sitting right here I'm staring at.